Verizon says keep the iPhone we dont want it( nytimes )

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapOut, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

Verizon Wireless is defending AT&T's right to keep the iPhone to itself.

The company today announced a policy that it says will give small wireless carriers more access to phones that Verizon had the exclusive rights to sell. From now on, when Verizon strikes a deal with a manufacturer for exclusive sale of a handset, it will let any carrier with less than 500,000 customers sell the phone after six months.

There has been increasing interest in Congress over whether wireless carriers are hurting consumers by shutting out rivals from hot phones. Of course, the hottest phone right now is Apple's iPhone, which is sold only by AT&T in the United States.

It may not be a consumer issue. Much of the political pressure on the issue is coming from smaller wireless carriers that worry that they are being shut out from all the cool phones by a giant carrier.

Verizon's move, announced in a letter to Representative Rick Boucher, the Virginia Democrat who chairs a key telecommunications subcommittee, appears to address the concerns of the small companies while preserving the right of big carriers to offer handsets their rivals can't.

The letter defends these arrangements:

Exclusivity arrangements promote competition and innovation in device development and design. We work closely with our vendors to develop new and exciting devices that will attract customers. When we procure exclusive handsets from our vendors we typically buy hundreds of thousands or even millions of each device. Otherwise manufacturers may be reluctant to make the investments of time, money and production capacity to support a particular device.

In other words, please don't make Apple sell us the iPhone because we want to have the next cool phone and keep it from AT&T.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please quote this and link to the page in question. It looks as though you are passing this off as your own.

In other news: This will shut everyone up about "WEN VRZN I-FONE LOL?!"

3. TapOut thread starter macrumors regular

TapOut

I have the nytimes iPhone app and Its under technology and I'm not trying to pass off as my own. If you read the topic it says (nytimes)

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Doesn't seem like the greatest business move by Verizon. Many iPhone customers would jump ship to Verizon if they got their own iPhone, not to mention those who wanted an iPhone but not at the sacrifice of having AT&T as their provider.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Rofl... dam VZW users just got owned... well at least i dont have to worry about being a carrier hor when the att exclusive contract ends and if it dosent get renewed.

6. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I seriously doubt that. If people have an iPhone with AT&T, they're going to look real hard at that ETF, and last time I checked, they wouldn't be able to take their AT&T iPhone with them, they're not compatible. And Verizon is no better than AT&T, they suck more in some areas and do better in others. When it's all added up, not much would change. In fact, Verizon actually might lose out on the deal since AT&T has gotten a pretty lousy reputation since the 3G launch.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

these exclusivity deals spur innovation and help all the major carriers profit. It's not just about the iphone.

8. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

Now I dont have to worry if the iPhone is going to Verizon or NOT,cuz I'm thinking of switching to ATT from Verizon....here I come iPhone:D

9. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I don't see how they're specifically defending AT&T, nor are they saying they don't want the iPhone. They're saying they have the right to exclusivity agreements. As soon as AT&T's agreement is up: they'll wanna snag it, I'm sure.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Wait, you mean you dont have one already?