Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
How upsetting. Looks like Tmobile will be getting the boot from me very soon. A pity, because they have always treated me well.

I'm not getting an iPhone until it comes out on T-Mobile. if I have waited this long already, I can keep waiting even if it's until the iPhone 10 comes out. :rolleyes:

I would urge everyone to email S.J. about it. A short and clear - but not offensive - email may cause an impact on this matter. Or at least would bother him enough to either reconsider or feel guilty about it. :eek:

One email per day, until we hear the announcement we want to hear.
No iPhone monopoly allowed! We had enough of it already.:mad:

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
The customer looses again. Where are the antitrust regulations that prevent monopolies that hurt consumers?

yourwiseguy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
And in doing so you break rule 1 and the most important rule of choosing a cell phone.

Choose your carrier first.

Breaking that rule means you loss all right to complain about crappy *blank* about the carrier you choose.

You are absolutely correct. I won't be able to complain about anything, but I think it would be worth in order to have an iPhone. All my photos, music, movies, and apps are on Apple products. Things would just feel out of sync (pun intended) if I had my Macbook, iPad, Apple TV, and then a Windows phone that was left out in the cold with nothing on it but phone numbers and text messages (go ahead, someone say it: "that's what phones are meant for!" *YAWN*).

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This is wrong. Just let the iPhone on every network. The exclusives allow the companies to not provide the best possible service due to lack of competition. Just because they have more money should not mean the users of other providers should suffer. Give everyone the choice of their preferred network and the users will go to what fits their needs best.

Yeah, talk about AT&T customer service. You get much better treatment at the Social Security Unemployment Office than at AT&T.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Apple probably wouldn't even want to offer the iphone on sprint or tmobile given the chance. I just don't see either of those two networks being able to support the user experience that Apple would demand of their carrier. So technically, VZW would be paying for something that's totally unnecessary.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
How upsetting. Looks like Tmobile will be getting the boot from me very soon. A pity, because they have always treated me well.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know Verizon is more widely loved than T-Mobile, but to be honest I greatly prefer my wife's Galaxy S/T-Mobile combo to my work-provided Droid/Verizon. Just better call quality in all the areas I go, and no dropped calls. Verizon is crap where I'm at, believe it or not.

By putting it on the most carriers as possible, people could choose the service that's best for them.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Apple probably wouldn't even want to offer the iphone on sprint or tmobile given the chance. I just don't see either of those two networks being able to support the user experience that Apple would demand of their carrier. So technically, VZW would be paying for something that's totally unnecessary.

Why not let people decide that? I have had T-Mobile for 10 years, and I'm happy with their service. May not be perfect yet, but it's good enough for me.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well, boo hoo Verizon. You rejected the iPhone initially. You have to sleep in the bed you made.

I hope Apple takes them to the cleaners to let them have exclusivity (minus AT&T) in the U.S.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Why can't Apple make the iPhone sell it for $200 and let ME decide what carrier to use?
Doesn't anyone understand business 101?
The more you sell the bigger your profits are
Right?

Others have educated you on the concept of subsidies, but you also need to understand that total sales do not equate to bigger profits. Apple is the most profitable computer company period (not just iOS, but Macs as well) because it commands strong profit margins from higher quality design, manufacturing, support, and infrastructure.
The companies making lousy profits are precisely those trying to sell as many units as possible.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
If Android weren't in the market this might be smart, but they are. Has there been any development on the Apple vs. HTC lawsuit?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seems like a silly Rumor... I think Apple sold out to AT&T to have a close partner to launch the iPhone, but I also think Apple knows they need to be everywhere now. Why go from AT&T exclusive to a Verizon/AT&T exclusive? Makes no sense.

I'm sure Apple wants to be with all carriers now.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The customer looses again. Where are the antitrust regulations that prevent monopolies that hurt consumers?

Exactly. It's like saying that if you buy a Mac, you must buy your bog-standard, 120V electricity from a particular supplier (at a premium).

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I'm a verizon fan because of the coverage and, when our brand new building had poor coverage, they ran out and put a small tower on our roof to cover the entire area, all withing a week of moving in. That said, I hope for all carriers to get the iphone. I wish apple would list what the network needs to accomplish, and if it meets that criteria, they can cell it. But it's apples decision. They call the shots and they decide. Verizon can ask for anything it wants, but apple says yes or no. If it happens, it was apples call (whether for network reasons or just plain greed).

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeah, talk about AT&T customer service. You get much better treatment at the Social Security Unemployment Office than at AT&T.

Hummm.... I've been with AT&T for a long time and Verzion too... quite honestly, I've always had a great experience with AT&T people... not so much with Verizon. In fact Verzion DSL people are all but worthless. They don't listen and only know their script. I had to tell one "tech" on the MacOS support line 10 times if not more..... "I don't have a Start Menu... I'm on a Macintosh" and his response was... "Okay Mr. X, Go to your Start Menu and select....". UGH! :D

None of them are perfect is all I'm saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.