Verizon sent me two iphones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jer446, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So i preordered the iphone through verizon the other day and got a confirmation message and everything. Unfortunately, they said the phone would not be shipped until the 18th. I decided to go to my local bestbuy and pickup the iphone and cancel my preorder.

For some reason, I don't think they properly cancelled my preorder, because I just got a shipping confirmation. Do you think they actually are sending the phone out? If they do send me the phone, do you think I can keep it for the $200 that I paid for it, or if I don't send it back will they charge me the full retail price?

I would love to be able to keep it and give it to my dad, who is not yet up for a contract.

Thanks!

2. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Maybe you got lucky and fell into a hole in the Verizon accounting universe and will end up with a free strings-free phone. If not, you have every right to insist Verizon cancel your pre-order correctly and return your $200; however, in order to do this, you are going to have to return the extra phone, if you do receive it. The best you'll be able to do is insist it was Verizon's error and get them to pay the return shipping. You can't keep the extra phone without Verizon having every right to insist you also keep the associated contract.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I recently learned in a lecture (just a few weeks ago) that under UK law you usually must make a reasonable attempt to return items that come into your possession without control. If you don't, it is technically theft! The US and UK legal systems are quite similar in many respects, so just warning you it may be a crime to keep it without at least making a phone call to Verizon of something! Of course, this is quite academic though.