Verizon sets sales record with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aviboy97, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

Apparently, Verizon set a sales record for introducing a new product in just 2 hours. I'm curious to know exactly how many iPhone's were sold yesterday. I guess this smashes some estimates that Verizon would only sell 600,000 during the pre-order process.

http://mashable.com/2011/02/04/iphone-4-verizon-record/

2. 0815 macrumors 68000

already on mac rumors:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/04/iphone-marks-fastest-selling-launch-in-verizon-history/

I read somewhere that they had 500,000 reserved for the pre-order, not sure if that was a reliable source

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Just remember this is a Verizon sales record not an industry sales record. I don't think it is that big of an accomplishment. What other phone has or does Verizon sell that even comes close to the hype and the demand that the iPhone brings?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You should really change the title to "Sets sales record for themselves with iPhone"; all they've done is outsell they're best selling device, no one knows how many pre-orders they actually received.

5. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I find it a little strange that Verizon ISN'T giving a number...just saying they broke a record. If it was more than the 600,000 that AT&T sold you would think they would brag about it more!

6. jacollins macrumors 6502a

It was only open to current subscribers, not everyone. So it's an apples to oranges comparison with AT&T until the 10'th.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Thanks, I totally missed this on the front page of MR..........................

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Probably the closest was the popular Droid Incredible presale that also started in the middle of the night. It sold out online in just a few hours.

Of course, as you say, no one knows the actual numbers.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Uh um I don't think that is a lot of phones, less than 100K in 17 hours, from all the predictions on here over the last year, I would have though they would have sold more than that. It does not seem quite fair to some of their customers the way they handled the decision on who can get one or not.

Will be interesting to see how many they sell over the course of a quarter when they finally get more stock.