Verizon SIM on an iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geeq06, Jul 16, 2008.

1. geeq06 macrumors newbie

Would anyone know how this scenario would work: I have a BB World Edition with Verizon. It's one of the few phones that you can get a SIM in for Verizon. I travel abroad a lot so had the international plan which provides a SIM for when you are abroad. I'm cancelling the international plan, but Verizon has agreed to keep the SIM activated. If I installed the SIM into the iPhone, I'm assuming I would still be able to get calls and use all of the iPhone functions, right? I have an unlimited calling, text, data plan with Verizon, so would I be charged a roaming fee for using a GSM network instead of the CDMA that Verizon uses here in the US? I'm a newbie to the iPhone, but prefer Verizon's coverage and am under contract to them. Besides, I like ease of use with the Blackberry and have a number of e-mail accounts that go to one inbox on my BB. Plus have the GPS turn-by-turn navigation with Verizon which isn't available on the iPhone. If anyone has any thoughts on this and knows how the above scenario would play out, I'd great appreciate it. I really want the new iPhone, as I wouldn't have to bring my iPod, a camera, and cell phone everywhere I go any more. I would still keep my BB if I was out just for business purposes.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The iPhone in the U.S. is locked into using only ATT SIM cards.

An unlocking application/process should be released within the next week...

And you still can't buy one without signing a two year agreement.

3. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

sounds like you would be getting roaming charges since you are not on the Verizon network since they dont have GSM service... so you will be roaming on either the ATT or T-Mobile towers...

but thats just an opinion... try it out on a friends phone .. thats if you know someone that has a iPhone that is Unlocked

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not to mention, all roaming agreements between Verizon and AT&T have likely ceased by this point. Verizon does NOT support GSM roaming in the US, and because AT&T no longer offers Analog service (the only common denominator between the two), there is no allowable scenario where Verizon would let you roam with AT&T, at least not at a favorable price.

5. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

I thought people can buy one, without a contract, but the price is much higher. I think that was on ATT's press release. But I still dont know how it would work on VZW's side.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Not yet. From what I read somewhere, I think that's available around September I want to say?

7. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Yes, they did in fact say "In the future..."

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

First of all, I really think the SIMs are for international roam, if you roam domestically you're definitely going to get a call from Verizon real fast asking why. They'll most likely charge you, since they DO NOT use GSM in the USA and don't have or support US GSM phones. So that'd be a big red flag.

Second of all, if you like verizon's coverage then why the hell would you want to switch the iPhone? You know you'd cease to use Verizon and be roaming onto AT&T or T-Mobile's coverage even if you got this to work. If you like verizon's coverage then stay with your Verizon phone, because you're not magically going to get Verizon coverage on AT&T/T-Mobile's towers.

9. showtime macrumors 6502

Aren't there sim unlocked iPhones out there overseas in hong kong but selling for close to $1000?

10. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I think we need to get something clear for people who don't know. I mean this isn't common knowledge so I understand that you don't know.

When we talk about TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) and CDMA (code Division multiple access). These are routing techniques used so that the same frequency can channel multiple uses. Both sides have their plus and minus, but no way are they ever considered the same. In fact, consider them as two completely different languages.

That said, people have this notion that SIM cards are link to GSM. And this probably because of the improper use of information and that every GSM phone just happens to have a SIM card.

In order for the iphone to work on a CDMA network, especially one for verizon, you need to change the board. This why motorola, when making a phone has two different models of phones that is specific for CDMA or GSM networks.

If you can't speak the protocols language then its worth nothing. It's like me going to japan and speaking english to a lady who's never spoke a word of english in her life. It aint gonna happen.

So just scratch the notion. Verizon has great coverage, but you will need Apple to take charge of the board layout. Sorry to burst your bubble.

11. geeq06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true...I don't have any notion of how this really works. Thanks for your reply and everyone else's. I realize that the service with other networks may not necessarily be as great as Verizon's, but I was hoping to have a phone/pda/camera in one tidy package for going out at night for example so I don't have to bring a pocketful of gadgets. I could live with the occassionally roaming charges for the convenience. But it seems as if this may not work per "Damnit Cubs" (go Cubbies!!). I'm in NY and there are a ton of shops that say they can unlock the new iPhone plus other web-based unlocking services that say they can unlock as well for ANY cell phone company, so I'm blindly believing they can, though maybe they haven't had a a chance to update yet for the new 3G phone. I'd do the iPod Touch, but camera is the main function in the phone I'm looking for which the BB World Edition does not have (how can they make a phone without a camera these days???!!!). I'm hesitant to try it given what everyone above has written...but really want the iPhone so bad! Oh well...gotta have dreams...:rolleyes:

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Those guys who claim they can unlock for ANY cell company are lying or falsely advertising. As Dammit Cubs explained very well, there's more to it than just software.

Personally, I wouldn't trust most of the "unlocking" services in NYC. Unlocking a phone is not generally that difficult, and can be done for far less than they charge, plus if you find a reputable company or go through a carrier you won't worry you've just been screwed.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As you know, the GSM side of the phone only works overseas (it doesn't have the necessary frequencies for the USA).

The Verizon supplied SIM is locked to Vodafone, I believe. So possibly it could work with an iPhone bought overseas from Vodafone. In the USA, the iPhones are locked to ATT.

Some people say you can get unlock codes from Verizon for the 8830 so it can use local overseas SIMs.

You should really call Verizon for more info and international plans.

Just a reminder that the navigation doesn't work outside Verizon's USA network.

Luck!