Verizon & Sprint beefing up plans pre-iPhone 6.. AT&T to follow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Today Verizon and Sprint announced improved plans, once again showing that competition is a good thing. (Reminds me of the long distance price wars of the 90's.. MCI/Sprint/AT&T going at it.. while customers benefited.)

However, I'm on AT&T... :( I'm hoping / betting AT&T will have to respond to these offers pre-iPhone 6.

I imagine new iPhone time is when large numbers of customers decide to jump carriers. I can't imagine AT&T will ignore their poor market position for 'family' plans.

Thoughts? More info?

:apple:

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure, but the plan they came out with a few months back seems comparable.

4 smart phones, 10gb $160 per month.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

They might do something. I know all of the carriers are looking at the iPhone 6 launch as an opportunity to steal customers from each other.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know about Verizon, but with Sprint this is not a plan.

Oh sure, competition wise, it may attract new customers. But it doesn't hold a candle to my current, but discontinued plan.

Sprint Everything Data Family 1500 plan.
    1500 minutes to share between 4 lines.
    $110 base, $19 per additional line.
    Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data

So, I pay a base of $130 (2 lines). That's $30 more than the $100 Sprint advertises with the new plan, but $30 less than the price if you are a current customer. In addition, I get unlimited data, not just 20GB and because of the terms on my plan I don't get throttled at any point.

With Sprint's Anytime minutes (free weekends and free minutes 7pm to 7am) and free Mobile to Mobile minutes I essentially have free talk.

I pay $220 per month, but that includes tax, charges, fees (including premium data fees), TEP (Total Equipment Protection) and a 2GB hotspot.

In short, unless you are a new customer, this new Sprint plan is a joke. As have been the All In, My Way and Framily plans. Every new plan Sprint has offered since discontinuing the Everything Data plans has been more expensive and not less.

Oh. And the new Sprint plans don't allow for discounts. The ED plans do.