Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S GSM unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by curuxu, Oct 5, 2011.

1. curuxu macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if the new Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S will be GSM unlocked?

Thanks.

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

It would seem weird if it were "locked" to "no carrier". Yet, I bet that's precisely how it will be.

3. curuxu thread starter macrumors newbie

How can it be a "worldphone" then if it is GSM locked? how will people be able to use it overseas?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My impression is that, traditionally, when you get a Verizon world phone, it comes with a Verizon SIM card and is carrier-locked to Verizon on GSM. At least, this is what the first hit for "are verizon world phones sim-locked" on Google reveals. :p

The Verizon SIM is necessary for Verizon to charge you for world roaming -- that's what they want you to do -- pay them for world roaming. Not buy a bunch of prepaid SIM cards in other countries and get service on the cheap. The situation is the same if you buy world roaming services for the AT&T iPhone -- it operates on an AT&T SIM card abroad, and remains carrier locked to AT&T.

That article says Sprint traditionally does not SIM lock, however.

5. Grimsrud macrumors member

I believe Verizon's current CDMA/GSM world phones currently have a special Verizon/Vodafone SIM card that they are locked to.
    Here's a pic of the SIM card:
    [​IMG]

However, I do believe that AT&T will no longer be able to list their iPhones as an "exclusive" phone that is exempt from their unlocking policies. They're now selling the same phones with hardware that is identical to what Sprint and Verizon sell.

6. curuxu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. It would be great if they were unlocked for GSM or if AT&T started applying their general unlocking policy to the iPhone once and for all.

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

So Sprint and Verizon will be using sim cards in the iPhone 4S?

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

This is exactly what my verizon blackberry bold "worldphone" does. Vodaphone SIM.