Carrier Verizon stops throttling unlimited data customers on its 3G network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Aug 12, 2015.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I was reading through the network/video optimization page on Verizon's website and noticed this little bit of text at the end of the page.

"Beginning in 2011, to optimize our network, we managed data connection speeds for a small subset of customers - those who are in the top 5% of data users and have 3G devices on unlimited data plans - and only in places and at times when the network was experiencing high demand. We discontinued this practice in June, 2015."

It looks like they've now stopped throttling unlimited data customers on the 3G network so now they're not throttled anywhere. Seems to be a recent change in June. As was highly publicized last fall they attempted to apply the same throttling to their LTE network but eventually backed down, but now they have stopped on their 3G network as well.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/video-optimization/

2. cynics macrumors G3

Verizon doesn't throttle their 3G network? Psshh

That's like them removing the speed limit for 1993 Suzuki Cultus.

One can't do the speed limit to begin with the other can't use enough data to make a difference.

3. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

True. But a lot of people are stuck on old unlimited 3G-only broadband cards or usb sticks that cannot be converted to an LTE version, so for those people that consume a lot of data (usually truckers or people in the middle of no where) they shouldn't be throttled anymore.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Their old 3G cdma is turtle speed network anyway.
    You'll be lucky to get 0.5mb

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This could also be nice for those in areas where LTE has a weak signal but 3G has a stronger signal. While the overall speed would be slower it could potentially increase battery life due to higher 3G signal strength.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This is so true, I remember testing once and getting like 1.8Mbps and immediately taking a screenshot to send to another friend on Verizon.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol
    That's like hitting the powerball
    One in 10 million.

8. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Just ran a test here at my house, I've not used 3G for a long time but it seems to be less crowded now that more people are on the LTE network.

[​IMG]