Carrier Verizon Store Denying Edge Customer iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 16, 2014.

1. willmtaylor, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A colleague of mine is on Verizon's Edge program, has an account that is paid up, and has an iPhone 5 and she has paid enough on it that she's eligible for an upgrade (confirmed by the in-store rep). She went in to our local VZW store today to ask about trading up for the iPhone 6 when it becomes available. HOWEVER, the employees told her that Edge customers will have to wait until "round two" of shipments (presumably meaning after demand has been met and other customers have had the chance to purchase the iPhone 6's before they--Edge customers--will be allowed to purchase them).

Has anyone heard of this? The rep took the issue to his manager, who confirmed this. The most ludicrous thing though, was when another rep who was overhearing the situation tried to say that it was actually Apple who was mandating this policy. Absolutely ridiculous. Some insight would really be appreciated.

2. af21187 macrumors 6502

This is BS. Tell your friend to threaten the Verizon store that she will sell the phone on Craigslist, pay off the EDGE contract, and move carriers, and that it is a BS excuse. They should have some first-come, first-serve phones in at the store Friday morning.

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's what I told her. I've never heard of this and never run into it on these boards. I honestly wouldn't of been as shocked if it were a retailer, but this an actual Verizon Wireless corporate store.

She said she was going to try and to a customer service rep chat on verizonwireless.com

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Never mind. you answered my question. A corporate store,

5. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

That's 100% bs. Even at my store (best buy) customers can upgrade with Edge, Next, or Easy Pay. And I also upgraded with the Edge plan with no problem. I don't understand how Best Buy (an indirect retailer) can do it but Verizon (even if it's not a corporate store) can't. Surely us Best Buy employees don't have more power than carrier store reps.

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And to be clear, they weren't saying that she can't upgrade; they were saying that she would have to wait to get her iPhone 6 until other customers get theirs first.

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

UPDATE:
    She chatted with VZW.com and they had never heard of such a thing and offered to take her preorder right then. She wants a 128 GB sooner than that though, so she's considering taking the chat record back to the Verizon Corporate store.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes because threatening is the number one way to get what you want.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

And if that does not work, hold your breath and stomp your feet.

10. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Well, ATT won't let you pick up your device from a store if you use the NEXT program to pre order. It kind of has the same meaning as if they want stock in store for the walk in crowd first. But what is Verizon going to do when you go there on opening day wait in line and get to the counter and ask to upgrade with Edge? Are they going to turn you away and tell you that you have to go to the back of the line? Or come back next week, or set up your upgrade and tell you that you have to have it mailed to you in 3-4 weeks?

11. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

She, obviously, won't do this, but the situation is quite absurd and perplexing. I've never heard of such a thing, especially with a program that a company has touted and pushed so frequently.

12. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

That's still unfair and complete bs, considering there are people on this forum who preordered with Edge and their phones will be here this week.

13. crex23 macrumors newbie

Did your coworker say that Verizon said she couldn't upgrade on Edge as a pre-order or as a walk-in? I am on Edge and plan on walking in and paying the balance due on my Edge account (since I switched from AT&T in May) and getting the Iphone 6. I work 3rd shift so I plan on getting off work, go wait in line (I live in a small town), and walk out with an Iphone. I didn't pre-order because I work all night and don't want to wait up all day with no sleep for UPS which doesn't run until 5 or so at my house.

14. af21187 macrumors 6502

Against such a large corporation, it is all you can do to make your voice heard. You can have fun being Mr. Goody Two Shoes; some of us have been around the block a few times and don't really care to waste time playing nice.

Sorry for your 106th straight loss.

15. Frost17 macrumors regular

Yup. This is true.

I've been talking on the phone with Verizon CS for a total of 5 hours over the past two days. I've placed 3 orders, all of which have been cancelled. Two of them were placed by Verizon over the phone.

Bottom line is this.

Edge customers who have their device more than 50% off, will not be able to "EDGE-up" right now. Their system thinks that these type of customers will hold onto their device and not want to trade it in.

Sounds crazy, I know. I was talking to a Verizon manager for an hour last night regarding this. As of now, there is no solution. I am very close to leaving Verizon all together over such poor business practices.

Best of all, she recommended adding a line onto my account so I could reserve the phone.

16. mike070654 macrumors newbie

Do what i did

I have two lines with verizon. one is edge the other isn't(until friday). A lot of people have to hand in their phones to edge up. i didn't on my first line and i don't on this one. If you call customer service just lie. I know it sucks but verizon screws us why not stick it to them once and a while. i'll tell you what i did and how it worked out for me. i called and said i wanted to preorder 2 iPhone 6+ and that i wasn't turning in my 5s because i was told i didn't have to. i went through the chains...customer service rep, supervisor, then quality control. Quality control noted my account on the line that isn't on edge i can keep my old phone and go to the store friday and start edge. The other line i just turn the phone in and get one. just tell them someone told you that you could do that and be very adamant about it. Don't change your story stick to your guns. they are really bad at notating files so if they say its not on your file just say well you can go back and listen to calls and find it. They wouldn't have the time to do that and would have no idea who the rep was anyway. After a few minutes they will give in, note your account, and let you go to the store friday and edge up or start edge. the people in the stores can not tell you no if corporate customer service okayed it. All you tell them is go to my account and look at the notes. They will do that and then they have to deal with it even if they don't want to let you use edge. Edge is their knight in shining armor. They brag about how wonderful the program is and I'm shocked that they wouldn't allow it. look at all the money they make off of it. Sounds like the reps told you that because they get more kick back for a new 2 year agreement and knew if they said that it would be one less person trying to edge up. Don't give in to their lies! I'll be in line at my verizon store friday morning around 4am and i'll get home by 9 with two 64gb iPhone 6+. The guy at my store(manager) told me he knows for a fact that they will have at least 3-4 of every phone in every color. They already have their stock there. i also know him personally thats probably why he told me. But if i were you stick to what i told you above and you'd be surprised at how well you can make out. i've gotten dozens of free phones over the years this way. i use to get to just pick whatever i wanted! :) just have to be able to sell your story and sound legit. If you stutter and change your story they will know you're lying. I have a strong BS skill...use yours!

17. Frost17 macrumors regular

Had to quote your article and insert breaks so I could read it.

18. mike070654 macrumors newbie

called another store

i also just called another local store and they said you absolutely CAN edge up. If someone told you that you can't they're lying! They were already told how to do it. They can preorder your edge upgrade...........People are just being lazy and don't want to deal with the new iPhone launch. damn shame!

----------

sorry about that this is the first time i've used a forum.

19. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

I "edged up" Friday at 3am from a phone that was only paid off about 15%. Verizon charged me the remaining amount to get to 60% and that was that, delivery of my 6 confirmed for Friday.

Sounds like you got some bad information. UNLESS, I was able to do it because I was one of the first and they have since changed this policy due to shortages, which may be the case.

20. Frost17 macrumors regular

I'll be finding that out later on when I call, very possible. Although I placed my original order 2 minutes after they went live.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

ahah "goody two shoes". It isn't about playing nice so much as it is about being an adult. Threatening a cooperation is useless. I left AT&T after 13 years and threatened to do so and guess what? I'm a Verizon customer.

22. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

But we should be able to pay off are edge in store Friday correct?

23. Frost17 macrumors regular

Yes, according to Verizon.

24. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

One cannot preorder through a brick & mortar store, correct? So it's not as if initial stock is being reserved for local preorders?

25. RichP74 macrumors regular

This doesn't surprise me. They do the same thing for business customers as well.

Our rep told us it was due to wanting to maximize the amount of phones available for people who might sign up for new lines of service. At least he was honest.