Verizon stores not selling full retail phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nocoin365, Sep 19, 2014.

1. nocoin365 macrumors newbie

went in to my local corporate Verizon store this morning when they opened, was told that I could not pay full retail (to keep unlimited) for the phone at least until after the launch weekend, that was nationwide directive from management. Anyone else hearing that or is my local store manager just trying to keep his new/renewal numbers up?

at least the line was short and I got to check out both phones to see which I prefer.

2. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

that's exactly what I was told...wait until next week

3. mfldmike macrumors regular

I was told that too, so I opened up a new line and I'll cancel with etf on my other line ($250), I'll still come in cheaper than if I paid full retail anyway.

4. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Do you get to keep your number?

5. phositadc macrumors 6502

Odd that they have this policy since they allowed online preorders at full retail...

6. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Yeah. You can bring in any Verizon phone at any time (when on a contract) and have it activated on your line, and you can even swap phones between lines at any time. It's how people keep unlimited data with 4G LTE.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Hence why many are shipping "at least until after the launch weekend" as stated in the OP.

I do notice that even on the Apple Store app, they gave different shipping dates for subsidized iPhones vs. full retails and even existing lines vs. new lines.

8. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have a friend who has the unlimited plan still using a 4s. They won't let her keep unlimited if she wants to upgrade. They are forcing people to re-sign contracts that don't have unlimited if they want to upgrade to any device that has LTE.

So ya, this totally makes sense. Verizon is shady like that. If you have unlimited, you should be able to keep it. It's disgusting how much carriers gouge people for data.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yep, been like that for around a year now. You can't upgrade the line unlimited is one and keep unlimited. A lot of people or using a dummy line and upgrading that, then transferring the phone over to the unlimited line.