Verizon - Switching back and forth between TBolt and iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Anyone know if this is a viable option on Verizon's website? There is an option on there to switch phones, but I am not sure how that would work with LTE. Since the iPhone will be lacking LTE it would be nice to simply use the TBolt as an LTE hotspot, and iPhone for daily use. Best of both worlds per say. Obviously when the TBolt is active, the iPhone will simply be an iPod.

Does this work or not with LTE devices?

Thanks!

2. livspop macrumors regular

I can tell you from a short experience with my Bionic and iPhone 4 - IT'S A PAIN IN THE A**!!! Atleast when trying to switch back from the iPhone to the LTE device.

The My Verizon system acts as though it will allow it, identifying that you are switching to a phone with a SIM and prompts you to enter the SIM number. Then the system tells you the SIM is inactive and to call customer care.

When you call customer care, 99.9% of tech support reps will tell you that once you deactivate a phone with a SIM, the SIM card is rendered useless and you have to get another one (they are free). This is despite the fact that when you switch on My Verizon from the LTE phone to the 3G phone, you get a message that says "SIM card will deactivate after 90 days."

Anyway, so the first time I called I told the rep about the 90 days message, he did some digging and found out that indeed he could reactivate the SIM and the phone was reactivated with no problem. Took seconds. Unfortunately, since that first time, I have been unable to find a tech support person who will do anything other than tell me the SIM is dead and there's nothing they can do except send me a new one.

So, in the end, if you like to switch frequently between LTE and 3G devices like I do, you are pretty much screwed unless you have a stack of SIM cards available to you or happen upon the 1 out of 101 tech support reps who is knowledgeable enough to know what to do for you.

I suppose at some point someone will recognize the disparity between the message you get on My Verizon about the 90 days and the DOA message you get from tech support and either fix it on the website or find a way to make the website work. One can only hope...

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

It isn't easy to do. I've flipped from a 3G to 4G phone, back and forth. Now I'm sticking with just 4G devices.

5. speed4tu macrumors member

If you just want the t-bolt as a hotspot just get a LTE wifi hotspot device. I have one and an iphone and it works great. Granted I didn't buy it for that purpose as 3g is plenty fast for just a phone. Then you have a lte iphone if you so desire.

6. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stick with tbolt til 4g iPhone comes out next year

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I switched my two Tbolts for two iPhone 4S. Easy. I just dumped Verizon and went AT&T... ;)

----------

I had the same idea, but the Tbolt hotspot, at least for me, doesn't work. I get constant dropouts. When I set it to 3G only, I get consistent performance. But LTE is just not ready for prime time, at least not in Tampa.

8. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

9. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Think my brother is on his 4th or 5th Thunderbolt now. I'm not sure why you would continue using it.

10. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

LTE phones do and the sim cards are like att's once you deactivate them they become useless and you have to get a new 1, even though the the vzw site makes it seem you like you can use the old one.