Carrier Verizon: Switching Contracts Around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamMacPerson, Jan 26, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

So in the past I've been able to use another line's upgrade to upgrade my phone which is nice, and I'm 99% certain Verizon still does this. But I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

I want to buy the new iPhone 6 whenever it comes out later this year on launch day. I've never been able to wait in line for my iPhone, and I've always wanted to do so (call me crazy). Problem though; the iPhone 6 is probably going to come out in September like the past 2 iPhones. My line isn't eligible for an upgrade until the 2nd week of October, right in the middle of the spell where it is impossible to get an iPhone.

So here's my question. I want start a new line with Verizon and use that to get the iPhone 6, then cancel my current contract. However, I want to keep my current number. Is there anyway to move the contracts around from line to line? This is basically what I want to do:

Set up a new number, i.e. 198-765-4321, and use its upgrade to get the iPhone 6. Keep the contract on my old number, lets say 123-456-7890, until it ends. Then move the contracts around so the original 123-456-7890 is under the new contract that was on the 198-765-4321 and the 198-765-4321 is no longer under contract.

Can this be done without paying any ETFs?

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

There is no way to switch numbers between lines on an account. But you are able to port the number out to say Google Voice, and then port it back in on top of another line (the new line in this case).

As long as the line with your current number is out of contract there will be no ETF.

3. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I might just do that. The port to GV is still $20 correct? Do you know if VZW charges to port the number on top of the new one?

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Yes the Google Voice fees do apply. $20 to port in, and $3 to port it out (https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844?hl=en).

Porting a number in on Verizon is free if you do it on My Verizon. It will just replace whatever number is already on the line.