Resolved Verizon Throttling iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, Jun 7, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I posted a few weeks ago about how my iPhone 5 on Verizon had started dropping to 3G when it had previously gotten a good LTE signal. I got a new SIM card and the issue persisted for another few days. My billing cycle just turned over and now it's back to a strong LTE signal in the exact same location.

Am I being throttled? Out of my family plan with a 4S, a 3G android, a feature phone, and a 4g LTE iPad, I use way more data than the rest of the devices (over 5 gb/month of 6 gb plan, or at least that's what My Verizon tells me). I'd use less if I had regular wifi access, but unfortunately my phone is one of my only Internet sources outside of school. So I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to distinguish throttling from regular signal issues. Also, is Verizon throttling LTE yet since 3G is overloaded?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They don't throttle you by dropping you off of LTE. Throttling is done by limiting your throughout (speed). Simply out, no, this isn't a Verizon throttle. Perhaps they are working on or having difficulties with the network in your area.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you can ask verizon if they are throttling you, but i doubt they are. i dont think it would drop you to 3G even if they were. sounds more like it may have been a fluke or network issue at the time. try this again this month and see what happens.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I don't believe they are able to (or would) bump you off their LTE network. They would just restrict the speed.

5. jkauff macrumors member

Verizon gets paid by the MB, not the speed, so why should they throttle you? You're just tying up the network longer using 3G.

6. cynics macrumors G3

Well if you are using Verizon 3G you will probably just give up on trying to download anything. :)

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I am definetely being throttled.

Up until about 3 months ago i was getting speeds 20-30mbps download average and 8-12mbps upload.

Now during these last 3 months i get about 4-6 down and 1-2 up. I use about 10Gb of data a month. My billing cycle just started and I am going to start using wifi as much as possible and try to keep my data between 2-5gb. I want to see if it automatically brings my speeds back up when the new billing cycle kicks in.

8. Pirates14 macrumors newbie

Same here. I got 36 mb in the same spot and now that I consistently go over 2GB usage, I only get up to 12MB. Verizon unlimited here.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Verizon has already stated they will throttle unlimited data users if they feel they are abusing the network or towers are congested. This isn't any surprise.

10. cynics macrumors G3

Might be because of network traffic. The plan resets monthly. So see at the beginning of your billing cycle if you get a higher download. If not I doubt it will ever change without network upgrades.

11. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I just thought it was strange that I've had the phone since January and only recently had any problems with LTE. I live in a college town, so one would think that the towers would be less congested in the summer.

12. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm also guessing that more and more people are upgrading to LTE phones and the towers are getting overloaded and can't handle all the things thrown at it so the tower messes up and bumps you down to 3G or that may be a feature for Verizon towers that when LTE is getting overloaded it bumps down some users to 3G. Do you guys live in heavy area with lots of people? Have you tested the speeds at night or very early morning?

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This could also ten be the perfect time for Verizon to do work on their towers. Less congestion means fewer people PO'd that they are getting lesser service than they are used to.

As a aside note, my wife has noticed data issues on Verizon and we live in Boston. They are a little different from yours in that the data just goes out completely.

14. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

True. My iphone 5 goes to 3G when I'm at work in the basement and when it goes to 3G i just give up . And when I'm on my lunch break I go up to the 1st floor. THen I try again with the download.

----------

I got my phone in Dec 2012 and I just recently started having problem around march in the Houston, TX area. My hairstylist was with Verizon for only one month( she switched back to T-Mobile) because of too many dropped calls and because her phone kept switching from LTE to 3G a lot.

----------

I've been well under 2GBs and my iphone 5 has still switched from LTE from 3G.:(

15. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

When you're getting throttled it will still show the LTE symbol, just much slower speeds. You might have some other issue if it's not showing LTE and you're in an LTE area. Also it doesn't matter whether you've used 2GB or 200MB, they can throttle you if they feel the towers are congested at the time.

17. cynics macrumors G3

Seems like a lot of iPhone 5 users are having problems with Verizon's LTE lately but not the competition phones. I can't compare because I don't have an iPhone 5 but my Verizon LTE on my old tablet is as good as ever, maybe the best it's ever been.

18. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I noticed this as well but I have a verizon iPad. I was streaming Netflix this week on my breaks and the signal kept dropping to 3G. The area I'm in (SoCal) has strong verizon lte so I know it's not a coverage issue. I thought something was wrong with the iPad.