Verizon to AT&T newbie question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i have been with Verizon since 8 years but now coming to at&t for iphone like many !
    i have two newbie questions
    i have 4 phones (family share plan) with Verizon and planing to sign up for at&t family share
    i ordered one black iPhone 4 and will be receiving it on june 24th

1. if i take my wifes and kids numbers to AT&T (i have my unlocked gsm phones) ,can i add them to my family share plan with out getting in to contract oh their numbers, cause i am thinking about buying my wife a iphone and get into at&t two years contacts once white iphone comes out but i dont want to keep paying verizon just to have her number active.

2. my area code is from NYC which i ported to Verizon ..later i moved to a different area but still carried my old phone number , is there a issue to port my number to AT&T if my area code doesn't match my BILLING ZIP CODE cause that's when i read on their site, for porting number my billing zip needs to match the area code.

thank you in advance for ur reply

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can check for number portability here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

-Kevin

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

We're Sorry, Your Number Is Ineligible
    Unfortunately, the number you provided is not eligible for transfer to AT&T.

this is what it says if i put my billing zip .... but if i put any NEW YORK CITY zip code i get this msg ...so i am consufed

Congratulations, Your Number is Eligible

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Couple of things.....did you complete an order on AT&T and start the transfer process? If so, I think your going to get that not eligible message.

I ordered yesterday, and ported 2 numbers over to AT&T. I checked prior to make sure I could port them....their tool said I could. However, if I check today, it says I'm not eligible. I'm guessing this is because I'm already in their system. To check this, I changed the last digit to the number to some other number and checked again. It said I was eligible.

I'm guessing if you placed an order and it allowed you to port your number during the order, then you should be all set.

As far as I know, number porting only works within an area of the numbers area code. I have a 617 number from MA. I live in NH now, and it still allowed me to port the number. However, when I originally checked, I could for example port that MA number to CA.

-Kevin

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so that means if i have one NYC number and one CA number and my billing zip code is Boston there is no way they will port those numbers to at&t coming from verizon ?

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

As far as I know, no it's not possible. From the AT&T FAQ:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

Q. What is port eligibility?
    A. Port eligibility is the process of verifying that the number requested for porting is local to the service area where the port is to occur, and confirming that AT&T has both a license and coverage in the specified service area. If eligible, you may be able to transfer your existing phone number to AT&T.

AND

Q. Can I port my number to a different geographical area?
    A. No. The number can only port in the same local area where the number was assigned by your local service provider.

Not sure if this is an AT&T restriction, or a number porting restriction.

-Kevin

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks for the info!