Verizon to AT&T question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J*man, Aug 21, 2008.

1. J*man macrumors member

I want to get an iPhone now, but my contract with Verizon isn't up until Nov. My question is if I sign up with AT&T now, and have them assign me a new phone number, then when my Verizon contract is up could I port that # to my AT&T account? Would they let me change my number? Are there any fees? I figured I could find some help here.

:apple:

2. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I don't think you can do that... Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to switch numbers right away.

My advice is to simply wait for your contract to end.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just wait until November. It is way too much hassle to do what your are suggesting.

TEG

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Agreed. Just wait until your contract is up.

5. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

The OP can do what he's asking. It's no different that what I did on release day when the activation with AT&T went screwy. They assigned me a new number that worked and after things got sorted out with the system, I called back and they ported my VZW number.

However, 3 months of VZW bills are probably easily going to exceed the ETF you have left on your account. VZW deducts $5 from the ETF for every month you've had service. SO for a two-year (24 month) contract if you've gone 21 months that's $105 off of the $175 ETF, resulting in only a $70 charge. Even the cheapest VZW plans will easily exceed that in 3 months.

You could do what you're asking, but the best plan is to either wait until Nov. or pay the $70 ETF.

6. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

except that if his contract ends in three months it may be from before they moved to the five dollar a month drop

7. TopGear300 macrumors regular

TopGear300

I have one answer?

The Good News: You can get an iPhone now and port the number later. Port it in 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, doesn't matter.

But I have no idea on the fees?? I too made the switch from Verizon and I can tell you they didn't charge me anything. The day I could get out was the day I went for my new iPhone! I recommend to not hesitating either because cell phone carriers get sticky and you certainly don't want a bunch off surprise fees!

8. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

No, it's applicable for everyone - regardless of when the contract started.

9. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

If you only have that much time left on your Verizon contract, your cancellation fee will probably only be $20 or so because they prorate it. I would just pay it and make the switch.

10. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

false. read below -- when he said 3 months -- that depends if it is exactly three months then he does qualify, but if it is under 3 months and he signed up in beginning of november 2006 he does not qualify.

Eligibility

The variable ETF applies to the following customers:
    - New customers activating on or after 11/16/2006
    - Embedded-base customers who establish a new contract with an effective date on or after 11/16/06

11. liquidlink macrumors member

I left Verizon about 8 months ago and I waited till my contract was up to switch. The ETF for me was $175 if I left early. I would double check the ETF on your account before you do anything.

Either way you can port you number at anytime, I waited 60 days before I ported my number to AT&T to make sure I like the service in the areas I go to. The port only took 2 hours to complete in total. Very Simple.

Good Luck

12. sn0wman macrumors newbie

Just keep in mind that in order to port your number both numbers have to be active, so you need to make sure you don't cancel your VZW number before you're ready to port.

13. eldervovichka macrumors regular

I switched to AT&T from Verizon and my EFT was lower than $175.00 and since you pay a month in advance I really did not have much of an EFT to pay. I was very surprised it was not more! I would just call Verizon and see what the EFT will be. I hope this helps!

Jeff

14. J*man thread starter macrumors member

So I called Verizon and it turns out my contract is up Sept. 2, which is a nice surprise. The ETF is $175 so I'll just wait until my contract is up. Thanks for your help everybody. I can't wait to get my iPhone.:apple:

15. boch82 macrumors 6502

I would check again with a different CSR....when I switched earlier this year they told me contract was up 2 months before it was. The date the told me was actaully the date I was eligable for an equipment upgrade. After about 2 months of fighting I got them to waive the ETF.

16. J*man thread starter macrumors member

Thank you I will look into that.

17. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I'd just go and get an iPhone tomorrow with a temp phone number and see if you experience any issues. Porting your number and ending up with a useless call dropper isn't a good plan.

If you don't have any problems after a few weeks with coverage or reliability and are happy with the phone and at&t, port your number.

Yes, you'll have two phone bills for a month, but that's your insurance. Once you port your number, you are stuck with at&t unless you port back, which will get you a nice smackin' new 2 year agreement.

That's what I did anyway.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Why would someone want to pay two bills for a month, especially when the first AT&T bill is for two months, and meaning that one person needs to pay close to $200 for a phone, per month? That makes no sense.

I just switched to AT&T yesterday from Verizon, the porting process is easy and efficient, and my number fully ported within 10 minutes of buying the phone.

By the way, since your contract is up September 9th, definitely wait. But just for your information, the ETF would be $60, about as much as a monthly plan costs.