Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chuckiechuckie7, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Chuckiechuckie7 macrumors newbie

I am currently part of the Verizon network. I was wondering how much money an 8 gig 3G iPhone would be if I purchased and activated one. I know the phone sells for $199, but what other fees besides monthly and the actual phone price might I have to pay? Would I only have to pay Verizon to cancel my contract?

2. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

If you are stuck in a contract with Verizon you would have to cancel that contract (unless you want to have Verizon AND AT&T.) The amount you would have to pay would depend, you would need to contact Verizon.

As of now, the cheapest voice-plan is $39.99 and that included 450 minutes and 5000 night and weekend minuets. In addition to the voice-plan, you will need to purchase a data plan which is $30. Also, if you would like to purchase texts they are $5 for 200, $15 for 1500 and $20 for unlimited.

3. circusbass macrumors regular

There is no definitive answer on whether you have to buy texts or texts are included in the plan like the 1st gen iphone planes included. The original iphone plans included 200 text msgs.

4. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

who can live off of 200 txts now.

but in all seriousness
    you don't HAVE to buy the txting plan. if you just dont want to txt or pay the 10-15 cents a txt (im not sure exactly how much it is for at&t)

and if your contract is up with Verizon, and your just going month to month (like me!!) you wont have to pay a early cancellation fee.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Assuming you are out of VZW contract; $199 + $15 Tax + $36 Activation and your first bill may be slightly higher because you'll pay for 35-40 days.

6. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

they dont waive the activation like 90% of other places for new customers... ugh

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

The plans are expensive with any service provider. My bill with AT&T will be approximately $125-130 per month (non-family)

$60 - 900 minutes
    $30 - Data
    $20 - Unilimted Text
    $5 - Insurance (if offered)
    $10-15 - Tax & Fees

Ridiculous, I pay $72.00/month now with Verizon

9. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You're going to saddle yourself with AT&T just to get the iPhone? That's ill-advised.

10. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I'm doing as well.

Anyways, if you signed your verizon contract after 11/16/06 they will prorate your termination fee. I believe that since it is $175 to start off with, each month they will take $5 off. That should help depending on how long you've been on the contract. I was also with verizon and am going to switch to AT&T on July 11! Good luck.

11. rayward macrumors 65816

I cannot afford an Aston Martin. I want one, so maybe I should go on their website and bitch that they charge too much for them.

12. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

This is the same thing Im going to be doing. I dont see anything wrong w/ doing so.
    The only good thing is that my contract expires this week..so it'll be an easy switch.

13. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

200 is more than enough for me. I only texted 85 times last month. If I need to text alot to one person, its just easier to call.

14. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Hilarious, who said I couldn't afford it? In comparison however, the AT&T plans are higher than other comparable plans with other carriers. The text plan especially.

15. rayward macrumors 65816

Ok. But AT&T is the only way to get an iPhone unless you want to unlock it, and there are concerns that the 3G iPhone will be much harder to hack. It's not an essential service, so it's up to them how much they want to charge for it. If they charge too much, they won't sell enough. They appear to be doing quite well at the current pricing, and I think many, many people will happily trade off higher month-to-month charges for a deep discount on the front end.

It seems to me that most iPhone-related gripes in here relate to Apple / AT&T not making the ideal configuration at the perfect price point for a particular individual.

16. Churc22 macrumors member

...are those the unintelligent people?

Anyway, i am leaving Verizon, and i think my ETF will be around $85 due to the $5 reduction per month. I already pay about $65/month with Verizon, so depending on if I will need to spend $5 on text messages or not, my bill shouldn't go up by more than $20. I would like more than 200 text messages, but I cannot justify spending $15 a month on them. I guess I will just have to suck it up and make the phone call...not a terrible thing I guess.

17. Cuprous macrumors member

Does AT&T provide a temporary number for evaluation before making the switch? I am considering leaving Verizon for AT&T but my wife and I have doubts about their coverage in our area. I do not want to port over our numbers and cancel verizon without evaluating the serivce for a few weeks. Is this possible?

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm leaving Verizon on my personal phone and joining my fathers plan via an add a line. I still have a work phone on Verizon but I don't really think I'll notice a difference.

I'm not THAT worried if I have a dropped call or two, it's not like I didn't have them on Verizon. Verizon isn't perfect, and they don't have the IPhone. Hence my switch to the carrier that opted to carry the best phone on the market IMO.

19. rayward macrumors 65816

Not at all. Just that many people can afford a little bit extra a month, but don't have an extra $200 lying around to plunk down on a undiscounted iPhone.

Also, business users may now be able to opt for an iPhone when before it was priced out of their company's purchasing limits.

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yes u can get a temp number before porting your vzw number in

21. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

there is no perfect price point, the only "perfect" one would be free unlimited everything for nothing a month...

there is always someone complaining/crying about prices.

22. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

wow. i wasnt expecting so much hostility. all i was saying is that txting is easier sometimes and a free 200 txts wont last me very long, and it wont last a lot of people very long. if you can get unlimted txts for $20 a month, yet for 40 bucks you cant even get 500 talking minutes, why not txt and save you minutes, because thats what i do now! Some people are txters and some people are callers.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That's what I did last year. I had used VZN for years, and switched just for the iphone. No regrets at all. Their networks seem just about equivalent, with VZN getting slightly better reception in certain buildings. The cost is also more or less the same - I was paying $40/month for 400 (450? I don't remember) minutes with VZN with free nights and weekends and in-network calling. I get exactly the same with AT&T, except the nights and weekends is capped at 5000 min/month. Since I don't get near 25% of that, it's the same to me.

All in all, I'm very happy with my switch, and 95% of the difference is the iphone itself. The difference between the two companies in terms of network, coverage, and cost is negligible at best.

24. circusbass macrumors regular

The point isn't living off of 200 texts. I have said this many times in this forum but I pray that AT&T does retain SOME level of text msgs in the iphone plans. 200 isn't enough for some people and thats ok as long as the option is there. In the original plans they allowed for 200. I find it greedy to raise the data plan price and make their customers pay even MORE for a text msging plan by taking that option away.