Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakeacc, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jakeacc macrumors regular

This is what Apple says you need to bring in order to purchase an iPhone:

To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*

* Credit card
    * Social security number
    * Valid, government-issued photo ID
    * Your current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

You will need to be the primary account holder to purchase iPhone 3G.

I'm currently on Verizon. I share a Family plan with my dad (who is in Cleveland) He is the main account holder for the Verizon plan.I have his account info, social security, pin code, etc. I'm assuming that I can buy an iPhone by supplying them with his info. Or am I missing something?

2. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Nope, the account holder has to be present. It doesn't matter if you have his info - you're not him.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You'd have to either open your own account, or get your dad to transfer liability to you. Or convince him to move all of his lines to AT&T, and get the iPhone for your line on your behalf.

Unless he wants to move to AT&T too, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the family plan because you'd be on different carriers. If you move alone, you and he would be on separate plans and accounts.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not true.

I transferred my number, which was a line on a T-Mobile family plan in my dad's name to a new AT&T account in my name. All I needed was the password for T-Mobile's online account management, the T-Mobile account number and I believe the last 4 of his social.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That didn't work for me. My father HAD to be there or they wouldn't transfer the number to my new ATT account. This was from Sprint.

It may depend on where you're going. I'd go to the store and ask them (calling is unreliable ... oh the irony).

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, Perhaps it depends where you go and how well the employees know policy. I went to the Apple Store. I guess it's just a classic case of YMMV.

7. jpruitt macrumors member

jpruitt

I switched from a business account on verizon to my own personal account on AT&T. I had no problems at all since I had all of the information requested.

8. jakeacc thread starter macrumors regular

My dad and I have been on the shared Verizon account for years. When I tried to buy new phones, etc. I wasn't allowed because I wasn't the primary account holder for the Verizon account. They told me that he had to set up a pin number and I would need to know it. He did that and I haven't had problems with Verizon. He is in Cleveland and I'm in San Francisco

Today, I went to the AT&T store and asked how I would be able to port my Verizon number to AT&T when I get an iPhone. I told them I had my dad's name, social security, account number, billing address, and Pin number.

The AT&T rep said he didn't need ANY of those things besides the account number. I hope he is right.

9. malmgren macrumors newbie

I had been with Verizon for the last 6 years or so on another company's corporate plan. I was waiting in line for about 3 hours when I heard the announcement about Apple not able to transfer numbers from other carriers unless the primary account holder was present. I was an authorized user on this other corp account, but Apple wouldn't touch it.

In line, about 20 people from the front, I ran over to the ATT store in the mall and asked them if I just got a new plan with a new #, and did the number portability sometime next week would that work. They said sure. Well on Tuesday I went to switch my old number to the iPhone, and as long as you have the old account #, pin #, address, and your name is on the authorized users list, there wasn't any problem.