VERIZON TO INSTALL ADWARE ON PHONES AFTER PRIVACY RULES REPEALED

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by BasicGreatGuy, Apr 2, 2017.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

"Just days after Congress voted to repeal online privacy protections that would effectively give internet service providers (ISPs) the power to harvest your browsing data and sell it to the highest bidder, Verizon announced plans to install a service called AppFlash on subscribers’ devices that will track which apps they’ve downloaded."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/verizon-appflash/

While I don't agree with the article title, (as to complete accuracy) I believe that it shows intent of Verizon and something I don't agree with. I hope it can stay off iOS.

2. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Oh it will trust me stay off iOS. Apple don't play with any of them. You want something on an apple device go through the App Store. The other phone makers are to weak to stand up to these carriers

3. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am concerned that Verizon would try and integrate it into their main iOS app. Hopefully, Apple would prevent something like that.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

May I recommend the following article instead:
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/...e-has-already-arrived-verizon-announces-plans

5. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

That's not an issue with iOS. Apple don't play nothing intergraded into their iOS period. They don't run forks of iOS like android. Name one thing you have seen from a carrier that's been on one single iPhone?

6. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is nothing that I have seen or been made aware of.

A lot of people here use Android. I hope that they see this thread and pay attention to what Verizon does down the line.

7. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Well they better stick with what google is tightening a rope on their own android platform which is nexus and the pixel I think

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

Unless its privacy collection, i see no problem with that.

"LG K20 V – and you have to opt-in to use the app. Or you can easily disable the app. Nobody is required to use it.”

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

The problem is that Google is all about harvesting user data, that's why they feed their crops with attractive free services.
    I do have to admit their search engine is the best of all. Can't stand Bing.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

LOL, stick with the company that basically wrote the book on collecting user's online activity?

This is where hopefully Apple's privacy stance works in our favor

11. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

The 'other phone makers' all run Android. And Google is no better then Verizon, it also sells whatever information it can get its hands on. One more reason to stray with Apple.