Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
So with the Apple store showcasing some good deals for trade ins, we knew something had to be up. I want to trade in my iPhone 11 for the $700 but it seems like this will require you to, at minimum, be on the more expensive $45/month unlimited plan to redeem it. Currently I’m at a grandfathered $30/month per line unlimited plan that I would really not like to give up. Trading in my 11 at regular price will only give $340. If I upgrade to the plan or not, I will be paying the same exact amount for my 13 over the course of the 2 years. I just find this pretty lame as it’s doing the same contract thing essentially and forcing you on a more expensive unlimited plan. If anyone knows, is it possible to use this plan to redeem the $700 promotion and change back to a cheaper unlimited plan? The fine print doesn’t seem to indicate that you must keep that specific plan.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That's exactly the point of these trade in deals. To lock you in to a more expensive plan.

Once your grandfathered plan is gone, there's no way to get it back so at minimum, that's $360 more every 2 years you'd be paying for service.

Also, $45/mo sounds like multi-line pricing. If so, you're likely gonna have to change the other lines in your account to the new plan as well so that's another added expense.

Reactions: 4sallypat

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
That's exactly the point of these trade in deals. To lock you in to a more expensive plan.

Once your grandfathered plan is gone, there's no way to get it back so at minimum, that's $360 more every 2 years you'd be paying for service.

Also, $45/mo sounds like multi-line pricing. If so, you're likely gonna have to change the other lines in your account to the new plan as well so that's another added expense.
It seems like Verizon now let’s you or change individual plans now which is fine. I may just eat the $15 a month honestly… it doesn’t say in the fine print you need to maintain the plan, only that the credits will distribute over 24 months. What do you think?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It seems like Verizon now let’s you or change individual plans now which is fine. I may just eat the $15 a month honestly… it doesn’t say in the fine print you need to maintain the plan, only that the credits will distribute over 24 months. What do you think?

The terms on Apple's website seem to be overly truncated.

Why would Verizon give you a free upgrade if they're not going to get something out of it? Service will be required for the duration of the 24 month term.

Besides, they've been trying to get rid of the old grandfathered unlimited plans forever. Just know that once you switch now, there's no going back. You're stuck with the higher monthly payments forever (unless you downgrade/cancel service or switch carriers). Mind you, I'm pretty sure the cheaper Start Unlimited plan is also eligible for this promo.

Reactions: smcgrath12

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
If you try to move up to an unlimited plan the screen will warn you in nice big print that there's no going back.

chipsandsalsa

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Im already on the unlimited 5G plan with my 11 (it has a disney bundle), im trying to find clarification if I still qualify for the 700$. Anyone know?

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone know whether doing the Verizon trade-in through Apple has any advantages over doing it directly through Verizon?

I also notice that the monthly payment plan is now spread over 30 months vs 24 before.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Anyone know whether doing the Verizon trade-in through Apple has any advantages over doing it directly through Verizon?

I also notice that the monthly payment plan is now spread over 30 months vs 24 before.

It's probably much easier to deal with Apple customer service than Verizon customer service. It looks like this time, Apple will be helping with making sure everything is in order.

I think last go around, there were issues with some customers not getting their credits, etc.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have a similar issue - I have a 4 gb plan for wife and me. I don't think we've ever used 3 gb and don't want to pay for an unlimited. I'll calculate the difference in monthly vs the cost of the phone but I expect it will be a no deal for us

Sgrooves

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Anyone know what happens to the bill credits if you want to trade in the iPhone 13 Pro a year from now? I imagine you have to stay on a payment plan to keep getting the credits ? Or will you lose them with a new device? And you have to get it to 50% paid so that’s an extra 3 months payment (30 months for the Pro’s)? Kind of feels like if I want the flexibility to upgrade next year I’m better taking the normal Apple trade of $640 for my 12 pro (vs $800 through Verizon). Then next year I have a phone that I’ll be able to trade in for roughly the same cost as my balance. I have an unlimited plan.

PlainEnvelopes

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
Anyone know what happens to the bill credits if you want to trade in the iPhone 13 Pro a year from now? I imagine you have to stay on a payment plan to keep getting the credits ? Or will you lose them with a new device? And you have to get it to 50% paid so that’s an extra 3 months payment (30 months for the Pro’s)? Kind of feels like if I want the flexibility to upgrade next year I’m better taking the normal Apple trade of $640 for my 12 pro (vs $800 through Verizon). Then next year I have a phone that I’ll be able to trade in for roughly the same cost as my balance. I have an unlimited plan.
You will lose the bill credit. I only deal with apple on phones now, verizon has burned me way to many times. I am actually jumping to spectrum once my new phone comes in. $45 bucks a line and it is the verizon network.

KelVarnsen

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
So with the Apple store showcasing some good deals for trade ins, we knew something had to be up. I want to trade in my iPhone 11 for the $700 but it seems like this will require you to, at minimum, be on the more expensive $45/month unlimited plan to redeem it. Currently I’m at a grandfathered $30/month per line unlimited plan that I would really not like to give up. Trading in my 11 at regular price will only give $340. If I upgrade to the plan or not, I will be paying the same exact amount for my 13 over the course of the 2 years. I just find this pretty lame as it’s doing the same contract thing essentially and forcing you on a more expensive unlimited plan. If anyone knows, is it possible to use this plan to redeem the $700 promotion and change back to a cheaper unlimited plan? The fine print doesn’t seem to indicate that you must keep that specific plan.
As far as I know this isn’t true at all. I have an old grandfathered unlimited data plan and I’ve done device payments on two phones, a X and 12 Pro and haven’t had any problems with keeping my plan. I’d ask to speak with a supervisor.

Ninjaman

Suspended
Jul 13, 2021
Ok so I’m in the Verizon “play more unlimited” plan and it includes Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+. So I assume I can get the 800 credit.
Question….if it’s spread over 24-30 months that makes it impossible to pay off at a cheaper cost like it would if I went traded to apple?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
As far as I know this isn’t true at all. I have an old grandfathered unlimited data plan and I’ve done device payments on two phones, a X and 12 Pro and haven’t had any problems with keeping my plan. I’d ask to speak with a supervisor.
For the $700 credit on a trade-in, it specifically says you need to add the phone to a *qualifying* unlimited plan. So it’s specific plans for the trade-in credit, not just device payments.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Question….if it’s spread over 24-30 months that makes it impossible to pay off at a cheaper cost like it would if I went traded to apple?

That's kinda the point. You want the credits? Then you have to stay with the carrier for the entire term.

At least with Verizon, they automatically unlock phones after 60 days so using those on overseas trips with local SIM isn't an issue. Only thing you can't do is trade-in or resell.

Reactions: Ninjaman

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
For reasons some have mentioned, I prefer to order on Apple and not Verizon. I see on Apple's web page that to get the Verizon trade-in deal, you have to select Verizon Device Payment Program for payment. That is straightforward enough. Any idea how the actual trade-in part works when buying from Apple? How do you let them know you want to do a trade-in? I know the order page isn't up now, but while I see the ability to select the Verizon Device Payment Program, I see no way of selecting a Verizon trade-in (I see an Apple trade-in, but that is a different program for a much lower amount).

Ninjaman

Suspended
Jul 13, 2021
For reasons some have mentioned, I prefer to order on Apple and not Verizon. I see on Apple's web page that to get the Verizon trade-in deal, you have to select Verizon Device Payment Program for payment. That is straightforward enough. Any idea how the actual trade-in part works when buying from Apple? How do you let them know you want to do a trade-in? I know the order page isn't up now, but while I see the ability to select the Verizon Device Payment Program, I see no way of selecting a Verizon trade-in (I see an Apple trade-in, but that is a different program for a much lower amount).

when you select the iPhone you want on apple it will then ask color, size and wireless company…or unlocked. Once those are chosen it will ask if you have a trade it. One phone appeared as a selection and boom I hit trade and that’s it

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
One more question: I tried a dummy purchase for an iPhone 12 to see if that would reveal how the Verizon trade is done but ran into this message: only the account owner or an account manager can make changes to a line on this account. Any idea how to get past this? I may have to just go through Verizon. Sigh.

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
when you select the iPhone you want on apple it will then ask color, size and wireless company…or unlocked. Once those are chosen it will ask if you have a trade it. One phone appeared as a selection and boom I hit trade and that’s it
All I see is the Apple trade, not Verizon. Are you using web or app? I am looking at web.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
One more question: I tried a dummy purchase for an iPhone 12 to see if that would reveal how the Verizon trade is done but ran into this message: only the account owner or an account manager can make changes to a line on this account. Any idea how to get past this? I may have to just go through Verizon. Sigh.

Are you on a family plan? Have the account owner add you as an authorized user now. Otherwise, you might run into similar issues when pre-ordering the iPhone 13.

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Are you on a family plan? Have the account owner add you as an authorized user now. Otherwise, you might run into similar issues when pre-ordering the iPhone 13.
Yup. And my wife is primary on the account. Will login now and add authorized users. Thx.

LakerLand

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
That's kinda the point. You want the credits? Then you have to stay with the carrier for the entire term.

At least with Verizon, they automatically unlock phones after 60 days so using those on overseas trips with local SIM isn't an issue. Only thing you can't do is trade-in or resell.
Apple cleary called out all new Iphone 13's that they will be selling will be carrier unlocked with the exception of ATT. you are good from Day 1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.