Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Got an email saying I could upgrade an iPhone 5 on one of my accounts for a 200 dollar trade-in. Value on Verizon website was 105. Does anyone know the details and how long the offer is good for? And if you can send in or if you need to go intI'll probably have to call. No date on email. Just wonder if anyone has more details.

Thanks

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Looks like it's the 15th of October. Rep said no one was expecting delivery at this point of new phones any later than sept 30th so it shouldn't be an issue. Looks like I may go ahead and order a 64gb silver 6s+ after all. Still ticked they didn't make a 32gb. Don't think I can continue to get by with the 16gb I have on my 6 (though with the cloud storage it seems to be better).

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Verizon did a $200 trade in offer last year as well. If I recall, the trade in period was initially through Sep, but then extended into or even through October. They were giving $200 iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and 5s models, so it was a pretty strong incentive, especially on the 4/4s.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Verizon did a $200 trade in offer last year as well. If I recall, the trade in period was initially through Sep, but then extended into or even through October. They were giving $200 iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and 5s models, so it was a pretty strong incentive, especially on the 4/4s.

Thanks. Yeah, I actually took advantage of that because the wife had a 4, and no one else was going to give me anything for it. Was a great deal. Guess they decided to do the same thing this year. And they'll probably extend it again, especially if there are supply constraints. I'll give my wife the 6 and get the 6S+ I think. She'll now only be one model behind and I've only had the 6 a year so it's still in great shape (aside from any unknown internal damage from dropping the thing a million times).

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Got an email saying I could upgrade an iPhone 5 on one of my accounts for a 200 dollar trade-in. Value on Verizon website was 105. Does anyone know the details and how long the offer is good for? And if you can send in or if you need to go intI'll probably have to call. No date on email. Just wonder if anyone has more details.

Thanks

You have to click the link in the email to get $200. When I tried it (for my mother) without clicking the link, Verizon only offered me $105 as well for her iP5. She then forwarded me the email and after clicking the link the appraised value was $200.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
You have to click the link in the email to get $200. When I tried it (for my mother) without clicking the link, Verizon only offered me $105 as well for her iP5. She then forwarded me the email and after clicking the link the appraised value was $200.

Awesome, thanks. Did you have to set everything up through that email? Like mailing the phone in? Or do you think stores will offer this as well? I was under the impression from the rep that you can do it either way.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
They offered me $300 for my iPhone 5S 16GB. Seems a little high, and it has some peeled paint on the back (little shiny circles). So I doubt I'll get the full value. Everything else is perfect, though. No cracks or dents in the body. Just some cosmetic stuff.

What do they do with these phones? Resale them or break them down for parts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 76

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
They offered me $300 for my iPhone 5S 16GB. Seems a little high, and it has some peeled paint on the back (little shiny circles). So I doubt I'll get the full value. Everything else is perfect, though. No cracks or dents in the body. Just some cosmetic stuff.

No clue. But I imagine you'll get the full value. I think as long as it works and the screen isn't cracked and there aren't huge dents or anything in the body, they should honor the full amount.

laurarh

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015

Did you get that quoted online or through a store? I know there was that Yahoo article about them offering $300 but it's been pretty unclear how to get that amount.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Did you get that quoted online or through a store? I know there was that Yahoo article about them offering $300 but it's been pretty unclear how to get that amount.
No clue. But I imagine you'll get the full value. I think as long as it works and the screen isn't cracked and there aren't huge dents or anything in the body, they should honor the full amount.
Cool, would be nice to get the full amount. I got the quote online after answering a few questions about the phone, but it does say that the amount is subject to an inspection.

laurarh

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Cool, would be nice to get the full amount. I got the quote online after answering a few questions about the phone, but it does say that the amount is subject to an inspection.

Weird. I'm only getting quoted $200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.