Verizon unlimited data loophole still open?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rileyb76, Dec 20, 2013.

1. rileyb76 macrumors member

Guys,
    My iPhone 5 is on the fritz. I have restored from backup, setup as a new one, but it keeps freezing up on me and it is out of warranty.

My question is... I have 4 lines with VZW. 2 have unlimited and 2 are basic phones. All 4 lines are due for an upgrade.
    However, I do NOT want to give up my unlimited data!

I have read some stories where you can order an upgrade on a basic line (which has an upgrade), activate that device, wait a bit and then activate the dumb phone back on that line. Of course you would have to temporarily add a small data plan and then cancel that out.
    I would definitely be upgrading to an iPhone 5s.

Is this loophole still working? Could VZW say this voids the contract and we're switching you to a tiered plan?

TIA!

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

This loophole still works and no Verizon won't switch you to a different plan !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know why people call this a loophole.

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

That loophole still works. The the other poster, it's considered a loophole because it allows people who have unlimited data to get a subsidized phone. Verizon does not advertise or encourage customers to do that.

5. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

...and does Verizon allow you to keep the iPhone without additional charges?? Sounds too good to be true! :eek:

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

Of course. As long as you pay for the ghost line ($9.99 a month).

7. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Just tried the Bestbuy loophole....says to call them and had an error code of 53. I called and loophole is closed. Can't keep my unlimited data plan.:(

9. risk235 macrumors member

I just upgraded my wife's phone recently at Best Buy and was able to keep her unlimited plan. I simply transfer her upgrade to the feature phone line. It put that line on a 2GB $30 plan. It renewed my wife's unlimited line contract but she didn't lose it. When I got home I transfer the new iPhone to my wife's unlimited line. I then put the original phone back on the feature line which took off the 2GB plan. So now she has unlimited data.

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Were you originally on the Family Share Plan? And were you able to return to it vice the Share Everything Plan? Thanks.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I did mine too last week at BB. I kept my family share voice plan and just added the 2GB data plan because I was upgrading from a flip phone. I asked the salesman to check before I signed. They said that was the lowest that they could offer at BB (2GB) and my voice will stay the same.

12. risk235 macrumors member

I'm on the Family Share Talk and Text 700 min plan and was able to stay on it. Though it does give you the option to change it to Share Everthing Plan. But why would I do that ;)
    My plan consists of:
    700 min anytime min (Nights & weekend free)
    Unlimited text and unlimited mins to cell phones
    Line 1- unlimited data
    Line 2- unlimited data
    Line 3- no data (basic phone)

13. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

That's not really a loop hole but that will work just fine. The only "loophole" is transferring your upgrade from your unlimited line to another line on your account, activating the phone on the line, then activating it on your unlimited line.

14. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I would also like to add I still have my upgrade on the line. It wasn't taken away. LOL