Verizon unlimited data loophole still open?

rileyb76

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Guys,
My iPhone 5 is on the fritz. I have restored from backup, setup as a new one, but it keeps freezing up on me and it is out of warranty.

My question is... I have 4 lines with VZW. 2 have unlimited and 2 are basic phones. All 4 lines are due for an upgrade.
However, I do NOT want to give up my unlimited data!

I have read some stories where you can order an upgrade on a basic line (which has an upgrade), activate that device, wait a bit and then activate the dumb phone back on that line. Of course you would have to temporarily add a small data plan and then cancel that out.
I would definitely be upgrading to an iPhone 5s.

Is this loophole still working? Could VZW say this voids the contract and we're switching you to a tiered plan?

TIA!

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Guys,
My iPhone 5 is on the fritz. I have restored from backup, setup as a new one, but it keeps freezing up on me and it is out of warranty.

My question is... I have 4 lines with VZW. 2 have unlimited and 2 are basic phones. All 4 lines are due for an upgrade.
However, I do NOT want to give up my unlimited data!

I have read some stories where you can order an upgrade on a basic line (which has an upgrade), activate that device, wait a bit and then activate the dumb phone back on that line. Of course you would have to temporarily add a small data plan and then cancel that out.
I would definitely be upgrading to an iPhone 5s.

Is this loophole still working? Could VZW say this voids the contract and we're switching you to a tiered plan?

TIA!
This loophole still works and no Verizon won't switch you to a different plan !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
That loophole still works. The the other poster, it's considered a loophole because it allows people who have unlimited data to get a subsidized phone. Verizon does not advertise or encourage customers to do that.

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
Just tried the Bestbuy loophole....says to call them and had an error code of 53. I called and loophole is closed. Can't keep my unlimited data plan.:(

risk235

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I just upgraded my wife's phone recently at Best Buy and was able to keep her unlimited plan. I simply transfer her upgrade to the feature phone line. It put that line on a 2GB $30 plan. It renewed my wife's unlimited line contract but she didn't lose it. When I got home I transfer the new iPhone to my wife's unlimited line. I then put the original phone back on the feature line which took off the 2GB plan. So now she has unlimited data.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I did mine too last week at BB. I kept my family share voice plan and just added the 2GB data plan because I was upgrading from a flip phone. I asked the salesman to check before I signed. They said that was the lowest that they could offer at BB (2GB) and my voice will stay the same.

risk235

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Were you originally on the Family Share Plan? And were you able to return to it vice the Share Everything Plan? Thanks.
I'm on the Family Share Talk and Text 700 min plan and was able to stay on it. Though it does give you the option to change it to Share Everthing Plan. But why would I do that ;)
My plan consists of:
700 min anytime min (Nights & weekend free)
Unlimited text and unlimited mins to cell phones
Line 1- unlimited data
Line 2- unlimited data
Line 3- no data (basic phone)

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
That's not really a loop hole but that will work just fine. The only "loophole" is transferring your upgrade from your unlimited line to another line on your account, activating the phone on the line, then activating it on your unlimited line.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Best Buy is having a "loophole" on their site. I bought a Note 3 and had an upgrade on the unlimited data line. The site didn't have me choose a new data plan, it simply had a radio button that said Keep Plan and was grayed out so I couldn't change it.

I wrote an article on it with more information: https://www.androidtaskforce.com/20...d-data-back-moto-maker-and-best-buy-think-so/
I would also like to add I still have my upgrade on the line. It wasn't taken away. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.