Verizon Unlimited Data Plan Phone Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peapody, Apr 18, 2015.

1. peapody, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hi Guys - I apologize if this has been discussed over and over. I did a forum search and yielded many older threads from when the Iphone 6 was first launched.

I have an unlimited line with an iphone 5 as part of a family plan. My husband got the new iPhone 6 along with a separate individual 2 year contract when it first came out. Now we are looking to do a phone swap. Will I lose my unlimited data plan? It is hard to keep straight the different scenarios. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

So you want the S6 and your husband is taking your iPhone 5, correct? Just swap the sim cards in each phone and reset the phones so your stuff isn't on his, now iPhone 5.

3. bsbuggs macrumors regular

Exactly. !! have done this many times.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Everything that I wanted to say has been said, but I'll add the fact that your plan is unrelated to your phone. The information for the plan is stocked inside the SIM card (or at least connection info), so you just have to swap the SIM cards and reset the phones.

5. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

So it's not true that doing a swap of sims and activating the phones will "flag" my account with Verizon as one that is unlimited? My sister swears up and down that the may happen.

6. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Nope - you swapping devices that way won't affect Unlimited data

7. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Verizon has no way of seeing which device is connected using the provided SIM. You can swap them, at he worst, they'll simply won't work.

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Thanks Gairry! I really appreciate your knowledge. Are there any other steps I need to go through besides a physical swap? I am reading in some places I need to activate the phone with *228? Or I need to go online?

9. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

No, it will automatically work fine. Keep in mind your phone's data is saved in your phone/SD card and not in your SIM card.

10. whyflyguy macrumors newbie

Just go into your verizon account and swap phones. I did this also and it worked fine. I maintained my unlimited data, no issues. Im not sure about swapping sim cards though. For sure swapping devices works.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

*228 do not work on iPhones due to lte provisioning.