Carrier Verizon unlimited data transfer still available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Mad Mule, Sep 10, 2015.

1. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Hi all, sorry for the potentially stupid question. Haven't done this since the iPhone 5.

On Verizon, can you still choose another phone on your account, use its upgrade to get an iPhone, then when it's delivered to you, register it to the phone number you want?

Thanks!

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I'm hearing yes, so long as you swap the sims but I'm too scared to chance it. Verizon will NOT add your UDP back in any case, even if you return the device and back out of the contract.

3. mactumors macrumors 6502

Yes. This still works exactly the way you described it, the same way you did it with your iPhone 5. You order and activate a phone on the line without unlimited data. Then you are free to put your SIM in it and "switch devices" on My Verizon, keeping your unlimited data. I have an unlimited Verizon data plain on my iPhone 6.

There is only one thing that changed about this scheme last year: the other line on your account, whose upgrade you use, will not only be committed to a 24-month contract, but also a 24-month "data contract." So the only thing you can't do anymore is keep a dumb-phone line around just to get the upgrades without having to pay very much for the dumb-phone line.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

5. The Mad Mule thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for the replies.

So you can't cancel the data plan on the dumbphone like you could in the past? The dumbphone I'll be using the upgrade on is actively used.

Also can the SIM card that comes with the phone be used to initially activate the new phone?

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yeah unfortunately Verizon closed that loophole :(

Now you are stuck paying the extra $20 - 30 per month for a data plan on the dunbphone line you used to get the phone with and you cannot remove it for the duration of the contract.

8. The Mad Mule thread starter macrumors regular

Oof, that's a minimum of $480 for two years. Without an upgrade discount, the total price eclipses the cost of just buying a 64GB unlocked ($750).

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup. I've never understood why those with UDP's don't just save up enough to pay for the new phone outright when they know they'll be buying a new phone that way.

10. mactumors macrumors 6502

If you have family members with limited data plans anyway then it still does make sense to shuffle around the upgrades and avoid having to shell out full price for a phone.

11. SipperyPete macrumors regular

Actually, I'm pretty certain that if you use the dumb phone line to order the iPhone and immediately remove the SIM from the new iPhone when you receive it and cut it up, while taking your UDP line's SIM and putting it in the new iPhone, it will work and you will not be committed to a new TDP on the dumb phone. The caveat, however, is that I believe you can never activate a new phone (dumb or otherwise) on that dumb phone line or a new TDP will be tied to it.

I have not tried this since last year, but I've been reading up on it again in hopes of getting a new 6s this week....I guess we'll see.

12. SipperyPete macrumors regular

Exactly! I have two dumb phones on my contract that are actually being used by family members who will never want or need a smart phone and have been using their upgrades for years now.

13. tottenj, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

tottenj macrumors regular

I
    I did this through Best Buy earlier this year and it worked, no data plan on the dumb phone line. I plan on doing the same on another dumb phone line to get the 6S+. As long as you don't swap the dumb phone for any other phone it should be OK.

14. SipperyPete macrumors regular

I would assume that after the two year contract is up (and you haven't used the dumb phone for another upgrade), that you would be able to another dumb phone to it eventually.

15. tottenj macrumors regular

I'm hoping, since I broke one of the dumb phones shortly after I used it's upgrade :D

16. SipperyPete macrumors regular

I'll report back when I have new phone in hand and activated. Will be ordering tonight...

17. legioxi macrumors 6502a

You can move your unlimited data SIM into any LTE device that supports Verizon's bands and has Verizon CDMA support. It does not modify your plan in any way. This includes hotspots, modems, other phones, etc. What you cannot do is use the upgrade of your unlimited line for a new phone, that will change it.