Verizon Unlimited Data Upgrader Losing Hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macguy78, Oct 31, 2013.

1. macguy78, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

macguy78 macrumors member

Like many others on this site, on September 28th, I took advantage of the verizon website :confused:unlimited data upgrade glitch and upgraded my two lines to the 5S. Recently, I received my 1st 5S and was able to activate and keep unlimited data with the help of a nice phone rep. However, I recently discovered that the personal hotspot feature is now gone. Previously this line was on a 4S.

I am expecting my second 5S in a few days. This line currently is on iphone 4 and has unlimited data + hotspot. I am pretty sure I am going to lose hotspot on the second line the moment I upgrade.

Has anyone encountered this and found a way to retain both unlimited data + hotspot who recently upgraded? I had free hotspot before, but now it would cost $30/month

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The unlimited hotspot feature can be added and removed at will on myverizon. Just login and go to change features, select the line, then re add the unlimited hotspot.

[​IMG]

3. erure macrumors regular

He posted on the Verizon shipping thread too. Apparently he had the hotspot as a free feature, which sucks to lose. Did you try calling Verizon and see if they can add it back on for you?

4. macguy78 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't want to hijack the verizon shipping thread so I started this one.

As the other poster alluded to, prior to my upgrade, I paid $30/month for both unlimited data + hotspot. Now it is going to cost me an additional $30/month to add hotspot back. I haven't called verizon on the issue yet, but can't believe I'm the only one with this issue.

Doesn't everyone with unlimited data on verizon have free hotspot? or so I thought...

5. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I think that combo is fairly rare and is why we haven't seen anyone else complaining about it. In fact this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having it for free. I would definitely call into customer care and ask them to restore the plan you previously had.

6. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I think it's only customers who are on a tiered plan that have "free" hotspot.

7. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Only the Share Everything plans have the mobile hotspot feature built in. The $30/2GB tiered plan, etc do not come with mobile hotspot. But the 4GB $50/month plan does. You can always jailbreak your iPhone, or in the case of android install another tethering app from the play store to use your phone to tether with the 2GB plan.

You can also do the same with the unlimited data plan if you don't want to pay the $30/month extra just to use the built in mobile hotspot feature in your phone's OS.

8. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

i'm confused. if you have unlimited data (4G LTE) why does it matter if you have unlimited hotspot? You can tether/create a hotspot with your iphone, so wouldn't having unlimited hotspot be pointless since you already technically have it?

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Verizon can legally block tethering apps for unlimited data users. But Verizon cannot block tethering apps for tier data users The courts ruled on that matter a couple of years ago.

What's weird is Verizon has hotspot enabled on iPad. So I put my verizon phone lte sim into verizon iPad. I can use unlimited data on iPad plus use unlimited hotspot data (for free) and my iPad can function as its own unlimited hotspot. Go figure.

It's just the way it works.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Looks like you will have to wait for the jailbreak so you can use Mywi for free cause I have never seen free hot spot added on an unlimited line

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yea, that's usually what people do. I haven't seen anyone with an unlimited data plan be able to use tethering for free with just the stock hotspot app. I remember when I had unlimited to use the hotspot I had to pay an additional $30 on top of my regular bill. BUT, if I used MyWi (jailbroken tethering app) or something like that I could get a hotspot for free...

12. Dallious macrumors member

any update on this? Did you call Verizon and get the unlimited hotspot back? I had the same problem and was going to call them just wanted a headsup before I call, thanks

13. macguy78 thread starter macrumors member

No such luck. I was able to keep unlimited data but could not keep unlimited hotspot.

14. fonso4g macrumors newbie

you can add the tethering feature on my verizon. i just added it today and was very surprised it was still available. only reason i did so was once the iPhone 6 is released i will still be able to tether until its jailbroken

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why did you respond and bring up a dead thread from back in 2013?

16. fonso4g macrumors newbie

I saw it was pretty old. Just sharing my findings if anybody who might be looking to add the feature

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, we knew about it for a long time now.
    Verizon lets you add tethering on unlimited data plan.
    AT&T does not.

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

No sir. I have a grandfathered account for unlimited data, but it seems when Verizon hit the kill switch on unlimited plans you either had an active account with the hotspot feature or you didn't. Apparently I did not have it so with my iPhone I don't get the free hotspot, however I put that sim into an LTE iPad and it has the hotspot available for free! Verizon just screws anyone over they can (as do all carriers) when possible.

19. mac.cali macrumors 65816

20. P A U L macrumors member

I don't see it being a problem since I upgrade every 1-2 years with my line using the 'transfer upgrade' to my other two lines.

In order to see reduced speeds, you have to be a customer that meets all of the criteria below (again, ALL of the criteria):

-Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
    -Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
    -Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
    -Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

This might be an issue for those with one line, which is harder to maintain a contract term. There are workarounds though (upgrading and purchasing via BestBuy.com method)!

21. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Can you please explain how that works?

22. P A U L macrumors member

Explain what? The transfer of using a different line upgrade or the single line best buy method?

23. mac.cali macrumors 65816

So it seems like you have to makeup sure UDL is under contract. To do this you transfer the upgrade to a basic phone on your plan?

24. P A U L macrumors member

If you have a UDP smartphone device and a non UDP smartphone device
    1.) Log into MyVerizon on the Verizon Wireless website.
    2.) When you're at the main page on MyVerizon, click on the device that is NOT unlimited and click "Upgrade My Device".
    3.) You should see all the devices on your account, again click the one that is NOT unlimited. Underneath that device it should say "transfer upgrade" and it'll ask you to select that upgrade from another device. Select it from your UDP device.
    4.) Run through the upgrade process with your non UDP device until you reach the shipping page. You'll notice the only changes happening are to the non UDP device, it does not touch your UDP line.
    5.) At the shipping page, select ship to home. Do not do store pickup, Verizon store associates are told and forced to remove your unlimited data when doing store pickups. They attempted to do this to me three times.
    6.) Once you get to the final confirmation page, take screenshots of your confirmation, and that it did not touch your UDP. I highly doubt they can remove it at this point, but its good to have proof that you did not authorize a change if they did do it.
    7.) When you receive the phone through the mail, activate it on the non UDP line. Once it has been activated, you can now transfer it over to the UDP line. You should now see that your UDP contract has been extended two years.

If you have a UDP smartphone device ONLY, or a UDP smartphone and a basic phone
    1.) Purchase a basic phone either online or craigslist, etc.
    2.) Create a new basic line on your account and add that phone.
    3.) Follow steps in tutorial above, it will ask you to add a data package for the new line you create, that is fine. Once you follow the steps above and have the new phone activated on the UDP line, you can disconnect that line with no early termination, since the upgrade added two years onto the UDP line, not the new line that was created.
    Note: Since it does take a couple of days to get your phone, you will be charged for those few days you had that new line activated. Better this than losing your unlimited data.

25. cnotes2019 Suspended

This is the same steps if I do it via bestbuy.com? Thanks!