Verizon unlimited data users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjd726, Sep 15, 2014.

1. fjd726 macrumors 6502

I plan on getting the 6 or 6 plus in the next few weeks. I have Verizon unlimited data and am wondering how bad throttling will be after October 1st. If it is terrible, I'll be switching over to Tmobile's unlimited plan.

Anyone holding off on getting the new phone til then? I would hate to buy it then realize data speeds are reduced severely then in the past. Although I'm aware that it is an unlcoked version, I would still have to pay ETF.

2. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

find a way to put yourself on a contract and you wont be throttled

3. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

The whole contract/no contract thing has not been confirmed. At ONE point the terms related to optimization did state that to be part of optimization you had to have completed your service contract. NO where in their existing terms for optimization does it say that being in or out of contract is a variable anymore.

The fact that since announcement they've revised the policy 2-3 times makes it worse, as now the terms say you can be subjected to optimization not only for your current bill cycle, but the next cycle.

I'm glad I paid retail as I'll have options to go elsewhere should the need arise, problem is, I don't know, yet, where that might be. I'll wait and see how it all pans out before I make a decision.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm taking a similar path. I'm almost certainly going to be going to AT&T but not jumping quite yet. I've had about enough of Verizon's games and I think the throttling is going to be the breaking point.

5. fjd726 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't believe anyone with an unlimited Verizon data plan is still on a contract.

6. mac.cali macrumors 65816

There are ways to get unlimited data back under contract. But it's not been confirmed being under contract prevents you from being throttled.

7. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

There are loopholes to get on contract - the problem is, while I agree that at one time the terms regarding optimization did state that one of the exclusions to optimization was still being in contract, that entire portion of the terms is no longer present. It makes no mention of any way to be excluded from it, other than paying them more money for shared/tiered data. They also recently threw the whole two cycle BS in there as well, no idea when, but it wasn't there when it was initially announced.

----------

Right, and I know myself personally, I'd hate to use a loophole to *get* into contract, and find out that it made no difference - that would only make the experience far worse as far as I see it.

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I agree. Also check your bill. It says that you need to be in contract to be throttled. Problem is verizon has all this information out there, but not consistent with the facts.

9. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

My bill has nothing stating exclusion for being in contract, or otherwise.. This is what my August bill states:

Important Information Regarding Data Usage
    Verizon Wireless strives to provide its customers with the best wireless
    experience when using our network. In 2011, Verizon Wireless launched
    Network Optimization, which slows the data speeds of its unlimited data
    subscribers with 3G devices who are in the top 5% of data users when
    they connect to a cell site experiencing high demand. Effective October 1,
    Verizon Wireless will expand its existing Network Optimization policy to
    include its unlimited data subscribers using 4G LTE devices who have
    fulfilled their minimum contract term. Based on your plan and recent data
    usage, one or more lines on your account may experience a reduction in
    data speeds when connected to a cell site experiencing high demand.
    Customers on MORE Everything or other usage-based data plans are not
    subject to Network Optimization. For more information about our Network
    Optimization, please see www.verizonwireless.com/networkoptimization.

So it was modified sometime, either in or before August. I didn't make it a point to check the optimization website often enough to gauge when they changed it around, but it has been changed since it was announced, as there are still several old posts that state that being in contract WAS a means to avoid it.

10. fjd726 thread starter macrumors 6502

The second billing cycle garbage is just that. No way I will stick around with them if that is true. It's obvious they want to rid all of the grandfathered unlimited plans.

11. mac.cali macrumors 65816

If your in contract how can it be fulfilled? That's what I'm referring to.

12. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

The terms at one point were in fact:

In order to see slowed speeds under Network Optimization, you have to meet the following criteria:

Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)

Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature

Have fulfilled their minimum contract term

Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

The Have fulfilled their minimum contract term is no longer present in todays (yesterdays, when ever they updated it) terms. Hell, I didn't even know this myself, until I checked it last night, and saw the 2 bill cycle BS. I'd just hate folks to assume that loop holing themselves into a new contract is going to 100% exclude them.

Whether you are, or were in a contract, based on their sneaky new terms it's irrelevant. In their eyes most folks have completed their contracts, those that have not, or have accomplished a renewal by some other means -- they'll just refer them back to their new sneaky revised terms that no longer make mention of fulfilling their contract, and gladly collect an ETF if the customer doesn't like it. It sucks, big time, but Verizon is going to get away with it, so there's not much we can do. The FCC acted like it cared, but they don't either.

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

The contract removal part was removed two days after the initial press release went out. But them now adding it to the bill is something new. So the real question is why does the FAQ and bill wording differ?

14. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Because Verizon likes to confuse, and piss people off - there's no other logic to it. :cool:

15. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

I have been with Verizon for a good 10+ years. Called and talked to them today and let them know that I was told of the Verizon Max program available to users that still had unlimited data. Last month it allowed for you to get 8 gigs of data if you switched over from unlimited. Now it is down to 6 gigs of data.

However, I talked to them and asked them to honor the 8 gig plan they offered last month. They agreed to this as well as giving the additional 1 gig promo going on which will give me 9 gigs of data a month. They stated that since I have been loyal and been a customer for so long they will place a special request to retain the unlimited data. If its denied (which I'm sure it will be denied) they will give me the 9 gigs of data.

The cost is the regular plan (Mines the Nationwide 1400) then the $30 price per smart phone allowing me the 9 gigs. Essentially same price as I'm paying for the unlimited data.

My average is from 2-4 gigs...a bit higher if my 5 yr old uses it for watching netflix. So with that in mind I see it as a good compromise to get 9 gigs of data for the same price. The unlimited was sure to end at some point so I feel I got a good deal with 9 gigs. This is not shared data either its 9 gigs per line. So this is a hell of a deal when you compare the same amount of data on the share everything plan.

Just an idea for others who do not wish to throw down $700-$1000 to buy outright. I was also strongly considering going directly to Tmobile...But I will still have that as a back up seeing as the Verizon phones are unlocked and able to be switched over without issue.

Time will tell...Good luck to everyone in keeping the unlimited. But I noticed a strong throttle on my phone the past 6 months so I am interested to see how my speeds are now.

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Seems like they fixed it. Yesterday I was able to add the 8gb max and now I only have 6gb. Was tempted to switch the wife's plan for 9gb, but not at 7gb.

17. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

can you point me to where you saw this?

18. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

The post that showed the part about not being optimized if you're under contract was on droid life, they certainly are not Verizon however, and I'd be more inclined to go with what Verizon's terms state; which at present, lack the inclusion of exemption if under contract.

19. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I'm on a month-to-month plan with unlimited (no contract) and I went ahead and purchased a Plus at full retail. I figure that the throttling might not be too bad, all things considered, especially if you just stream a lot of music and basic media. It originally was going to make me sit back and wait to see how it'd go if they go through with the throttling, but I got too excited for the Plus that I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

And yes, us grandfathered types are likely on our last legs, but I am keeping this as long as I can. No one can say how bad the throttling will be, but I can't imagine it'd be too extraneous, and even if, you could always queue things up on a load. It beats paying more for less data and caps.

On principle alone, I can't imagine me signing up for a new contract even with the threats and realities of throttling. To get me off unlimited they will literally have to force it off.

20. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'm sure that it will just be month to month, the FCC is already on them so I don't think that they would do anything like that. They'll probably just to misinform people or keep the fact that if you're under contract that yourself so that more people switch.