Verizon unlimited.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blubird2, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Blubird2 macrumors newbie

I have three lines with Verizon, all of them on the unlimited plan.
    I will be upgrading two of these lines. I have been told that I need to change the plan for those lines and for the same price as the unlimited I will receive 6G of data which is more than enough. Currently, those lines use less than 1G each.
    So even though it's plenty for now I am concerned that down the road Verizon will change the plans. Is there a way to keep unlimited all of the plants? The third line upgraded to a 5s last year.

2. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Buy the new phones at full retail price.

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Purchase at full price and avoid the problem. You know you have to, you're just looking to avoid it by some "loopholes".

4. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Honestly the most I've ever used was a little over a gig. I have used more texts than anything else. I'd rather have the unlimited texts than the unlimited data.

5. Blubird2 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ercsliberty, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  7. PaythePiper macrumors member

So do you even call in to activate after you swap sims? I'm new to this SIM card thing. I have a ip6 on the way using a line on my acct. want to use the new phone on MY line with UDP.

8. ercsliberty, Sep 14, 2014

ercsliberty macrumors 6502

edited now...

9. PaythePiper macrumors member

What if I take new sim and send it with my old ip5 to my mom? It's her # I'm using to upgrade

10. ercsliberty, Sep 14, 2014

ercsliberty macrumors 6502

edited now...

11. PaythePiper macrumors member

Even if the upgrade is from line with capped 2gb plan?

12. Slumpey, Sep 14, 2014

Slumpey macrumors regular

I am in the same boat, I used my wife's upgrade (non-unlimited plan) to get the iPhone 6 since my line has unlimited data and I want to keep it. What do I do exactly once I receive the new phone so I don't mess anything up with both lines. Basically I am going to want the iPhone 6 on my unlimited line and give my wife my old iPhone 5 for her line.

Please assist

13. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

if you activate the new phone on the line you bought it on
    you should be fine after that to use it elsewhere

you are paying them the money still so they don't really care what you do with the phone after that, you can jam it up your antenna hole if u like :)

14. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I bought an iPhone 6+ on a dummy line and I know it will add the data plan for two years but I plan on switching it to my unlimited line. Don't know what to do either. I guess I'll call Verizon. I'm not able to put my sim card in the iPhone 6 because I currently own the Galaxy s4 so what should I do?

Should I go get a new sim card for the iPhone and throw away the sim that comes with the iPhone 6? When I called Verizon the guy said no I would just call them and they can switch it to my number without getting a new sim.

I know when I bought the iPhone 5, they had just come out with the new nano sim card I called Verizon and they said to activate the phone on the dummy line then they would switch it to my unlimited number. Well they were unable to switch it and the stores were sold out of the nano sim cards so I was stuck until they got more in stock, so from that story I'm worried they will say to activate it on the dummy line then they will try to switch it to my number and it not work.

15. Slumpey, Sep 14, 2014

Slumpey macrumors regular

What about what to do with the whole SIM card situation does that not pertain to my issue. Do I not need to remove it

Also the iPhone 6 was bought with the verizon edge plan, does that matter if I want to move the phone to my unlimited line

16. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Same thing happened to me twice. Both times I was told they could switch it and both times I had to get a new sim card. I also got stuck in the we don't have any nano sims left mess as well.

17. VO2Max macrumors member

Wife and I are in a similar situation. She has a Verizon iPhone 4, which from my understanding does not have a sim card (correct me if I'm wrong though). She has unlimited data. I have an iPhone 5 with a 2gb plan. We are on a Nationwide Talk plan. I'm keeping my phone for another 2 years so we are using my upgrade for the iPhone 6 and doing the line switch thing. She spent about a half hour on the phone with a very helpful Verizon CS rep who said it can be done this way. So we will give them a call when we get the phone so they can walk us thru it. Not going to turn it on until we talk with somebody so nothing gets screwed up. Worse comes to worse they did offer her 6gb for the same price as unlimited, which is way more than she needs since she is not a heavy user. I actually use more data per month than her, of course that could change now that she will have an LTE phone.

18. PaythePiper macrumors member

Even if the ip4 has a sim, it's a 3G sim. You will need a 4g sim

19. VO2Max macrumors member

The iPhone 6 will ship with a 4G sim. We are not talking about doing a sim swap anyway like others but having a Verizon CS rep manually handle the line transfer, which is why we ordered the iPhone 6 on my line with the 2GB plan.

20. PaythePiper macrumors member

That's what I thought was the way to do it. Like I said, I have minimal SIM card experience. Was just hoping to activate the phone myself without dealing with a call rep

21. firefighterk macrumors member

has anyone waited inline at apple and walked away without them activating it store?

my new idea and i think it might work

go to apple on the 19th wait inline make sure they dont activate it in store bring it home and put my existing 5s sim card in it. then take my 5s to verizon and ask for a new verizon sim card and activate it on the line i upgrated.

22. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I believe they activate it in store. They let you open it up and hold it, but you have to turn it on. Not sure if that's still the case, but when I purchased my iPhones in store they would activate it.

23. firefighterk macrumors member

i know when i got the 5 i told them i wanted to keep it in the box as it was a present.

if i do that and switch the sim cards how would i get the 5s on my other line do i call verizon or go online ? also if i was to put a new sim card in the 5s would that line keep the ULD plan or is the 2gb plan attached to the number not the sim card

24. PaythePiper macrumors member

I believe the SIM card is what's attached to the data plan and such. My question is, what happens if you never activate the new SIM card? Does the upgrade associated with that number never get used?

25. VO2Max macrumors member

Success! Wife's iPhone 6 arrived on Friday. She's on an UDP and I'm on a 2GB TDP. My line was eligible for an upgrade as was hers. Ordered the new phone on my line with a new SIM card. Called Verizon to have the CSR walk us thru a device switch between lines. I'm not sure of all the details as the wife was the one talking to the CSR. I do know it involved a lot of turning the phone on and off again. No SIM card swap necessary and new phone transferred to her line and she kept her UDP. My line has a new 2 years contract. We each keep our phones about 4 years anyway. So when 9/16 rolls around I'll be ready to upgrade to the iPhone 7!