Carrier Verizon - upgrade options, currently on unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MD85, Dec 14, 2015.

1. MD85 macrumors newbie

MD85

I am currently on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan with is running me about $90/month with my discount and the new $20 "we hate our loyal customers" fee from Verizon. I am the owner of a well-loved 16 gb Iphone 5s and am ready for an upgrade. I thought I could upgrade via the Apple iPhone upgrade plan and keep my current plan, but after a trip to an Apple Store today, I learned this is not an option. I am now left with the options of 1. buying a phone at cost (64 gb iPhone 6s+ is what I am looking at , ~$850), 2. a Verizon rep states I am able to use their monthly payment plan, divide the payments over 24 months, 3. ditch my UDP and get THE VERIZON PLAN! and upgrade for ~$440 plus the built in monthly subsidy. I generally use 4-5GB/month, but I really like knowing that I can use as much data as I want, especially as we continue to do more from our phones and consume more data. Any recommendations or suggestions on which way I should go or is there another way I have not yet considered?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Those are two of the 3 options, full price being the safest.

The 3rd option is the Best Buy Method. Go to SlickDeals and search for it. If you follow the directions exactly, you may have success, though there's always risk.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Incorrect. Verizon is throwing unlimited data users a small bone. But you have to make sure the rep knows what they are doing n

Verizon will let people with unlimited data go on installment plans (aka pay full price spread payments over 24 months).

But there are lot of Holiday promo going on for installment plans. Like SAMs club had $300 gift card (which Costco matched) if you go on installment plan. And yes. You do qualify for those promo even on unlimited. Just make sure the rep knows what they are doing. So look for promo from retailers about gift cards. Target had a $250 gift card promo.

"According to at least one source, this new price hike does have one added bonus, which is the option to take advantage of Verizon’s device installment plan without losing your unlimited data. The idea here is that if you are willing to pay the extra $20 per month on your unlimited data plan, that you can then upgrade and keep your plan."

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/08/verizon-to-increase-unlimited-data-pricing-by-20-in-november/

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good to know. BestBuy recently had a gift card promotion as well

5. risk235 macrumors member

I tried upgrading my wife's unlimited line to no avail. Her contract ended on 12-13-15. So I tried ordering her 6s plus via device payments and it wanted to change her data plan. So I called customer service and was told I have to wait until my next billing cycle when the $20 charge is on there to get keep unlimited and do device payment plan.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Or you could buy full price through Apple.com and finance for 18 interest free months with a Barclay's Apple Visa card. Just buy the SIM free version. When your new phone arrives just pop in your existing SIM card and you're good to go.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Why take the credit hit?

If I am going to apply for credit. It better be a good promo like Amex plat 100k promo or British airways 100k promo.

Interest free financing for a $700-1000 phone isn't worth it.

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

To each his own. A single credit "ding" is not going to adversely affect your credit score. Further the American Express Platinum card carries a whopping $450 annual fee. The Apple Visa card has no annual fee. Some people might not be able to afford paying cash for an iphone. Perhaps you can. Be considerate to others. If you can.