Carrier Verizon Upgrade Question Help Needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARizz44, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

Does anyone know for certain if the following would work so that I can keep my unlimited data plan:
    - Use the upgrade on my mother's basic phone line to get a new 6S
    - Do the mandatory adding of a data plan to her line required for the 6S
    - When I receive the 6S, put my sim card into the 6S so that it works on my own personal line
    - Add my mom's basic phone back onto her line
    - Remove the data plan I had added since she the basic phone is on her line again

In the end, ideally I would be able to get the 6S at the 2 year contract price, keep unlimited data, and put my mom's plan back to exactly how it was (short of paying a 1-2 day prorated data plan rate and having her tied to Verizon for 2 more years). Can anyone confirm?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Didn't Verizon change things in the past year or so that if you get a subsidized smartphone and thus get a data plan for it then you have to keep the data plan on the line for the duration of the contract even if you switch back to a basic feature phone?

3. ARizz44 thread starter macrumors 6502

ARizz44

That is exactly what I am wondering. I swear I recall reading that somewhere but cannot find it now. I wouldn't be surprised, nor blame them, if that is the case otherwise that back door would be exploited by, well, people like me lol.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@imaketouchtheme , can you help out here?

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

It's mandatory that that line have data plan for the length of the contract now. I believe only Att allows this still

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I believe so.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

This. You use to be able to the above method, but now you need a data plan for 2 years.