Verizon upgrade swap question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Question. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 still under contract. My step dad is going to buy an new 4S on Verizon under a new contract. I want to buy that phone from him for some money plus my iPhone 4. I get the new phone without extending my contract, and he gets an iPhone for a lot cheaper than he would have otherwise.

The question is, can we do this? Unlike AT&T, there is no sim card. Will they swap the phones at the Verizon store for us? Or how do we do it? We will not be on the same family plan. Will that make a difference?

Does a phone have to be deactivated before being activated on another line?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

you will have to deactivate both phones and reactivate them on the correct lines. You may do this online.

3. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

Are you on a family plan? If so the process is really easy. You can either transfer the upgrade in the system or you can buy it on his line and have him activate it. Once the activation is complete you can transfer the lines on the website. If you are not on a family plan together I am not sure how it would work.

4. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We are both on a family plan, but not the same one. Anyone know if this can be done? I also don't want it to extend my contract in any way.