Carrier Verizon - use ETF to upgrade early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevsta26, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

My mom really wants an iPhone 5C, but her contract with her current phone isn't up until 9/22/15.

Now I'm wondering is it possible to pay the early termination fee (which I've calculated to be $230 by the 22nd of this month) and then keep her current line/number and then get the 8GB iPhone 5C for $0 with a new 2 year contract with the same line?

2. miamialley, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I can only check ATT, but from the looks of it you can get the phone now for $250 if you sign a new 2 year contract. That would seem easier. I'd try to get her to get the 5S because of Touch ID and it will get upgrades for longer for just $99 more (and more storage, 8GB ain't much). How much does it show it would cost for the phone if you signed a new 2 year contract?

Attached Files:

3. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well if I check it only gives me the option to buy now for $450 (which is kinda a lot for a 8GB 5C) or wait till the contract is up to buy for $0. Maybe AT&T is different? But I also read that if you pay the ETF you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can get back with Verizon and my mom doesn't want to loose her number or be stuck without service, so I guess she'll just have to wait? As for getting the 5S, all she really wants is the 5C lol.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

My contract has a few less months on it, so that's the difference I guess.

Have you looked at Tmobile or Sprint? They've been promoting paying ETFs.

5. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just think Verizon makes you pay full price or nothing till the contract is up, cause I checked another line that's contract is up in less than 2 months and it still says $450 or wait till it ends.

And we've been with Verizon for over 15 years now and have been very satisfied, so we don't really want to switch carriers.

I guess she'll just have to wait another year, which she's okay with, but she does only have an iPhone 4 still, haha. But $450 for a iPhone 5C? Seems kind of a lot.