Verizon user to AT&T for a iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deff808, Oct 14, 2008.

1. deff808 macrumors member

I'm a verizon user for several years. Would like to switch to AT&T to purchase a Iphone. I have a LG Voyager, text pad is great. But the mobile internet really $ucks!

Do i have to wait untill my 2yr contract ends, or wait until my month ends, for the new monthly bill etc...

I think i remember, it was $150 to deactivate.

Thanks!

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

If you're going to pay the ETF, I'm pretty sure you can do it at anytime.

3. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Verizon just changed their rates on text messaging. Call them and tell them you want out of your contract because of that. It has worked for people in the past and they won't charge you an ETF.

4. joshuaaaron macrumors member

i switched from helio to aT&T to get my iphone. in the middle of my 2years. and at&t paid for my termination fee

5. sallad4 macrumors newbie

Couldn't be happier that I left Verizon for ATT. I paid to get out of three contracts. Have been with ATT for almost two years and have no real complaints other than it's a little expensive.

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the process of thinking about switching from Verizon (12yr customer) to ATT. I called Verizon and they said my ETF is $25 (it goes down $5 per month before contract expires). So I'm ready to just F it and pay the $25 to get out of the contract early even though it ends in 5 months.

I get a FAN discount of 25% towards my plan so the store told me I'd be paying about $52 + taxes and fees for the 450min plan. They also said with my FAN i get $25 off the iPhone. So this was the icing on the cake. BUT the kid had to clear it with a manager (tomorrow) first. So no sure what that is about. If all goes well I'll have an iPhone come weekend!

Verizon has called me 3 TIMES since I called them in inquire about ETF and my reason was the iPhone. They wanted to offer me some special on the DARE :p NOOOOOOOOOOO THANK U

7. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

switched to the 3G from a voyager on launch day, have never regretted it since. I got out of my ETF because i moved and service sucked at my new place, VZW confirmed this and waived my fee, but the text thing mentioned above i have seen before, but i saw it for tmobile. However if VZ did change their rates its technically a breach of contract, although unless they adjusted your bill it might not matter

8. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! I switched from helio to get the iPhone and I didnt know about this and I payed $175 for the ETF. I wish I would have known earlier.

9. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

yes i have heard someone that did this at the office, how is this possible? is there another thread about this?

10. joshuaaaron macrumors member

my friend works for an authorized att dealer. and he told me. :p i wouldnt have switched if i had to pay the ETF

11. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

Verizon started some new ETF program within the last year or so. I believe your ETF charge drops by $5 / month. So if you have a 2 year contract and decide to cancel after 1 year, your ETF, should be $175 - $60 = $115

My Contract ended in August, however when the ipHone came out on Jul 11th, I decided to get it and see how I like the coverage in the area. Once Aug rolled around, I ported my number to the iPhone, hence cancelling my VZW account.

12. deff808 thread starter macrumors member

I went yesterday, got my first iPhone. My verizon termination fee was $65. Verizon was trying to talk my ear out, for me to stay with verizon.
    My other phone was a LG Voyager. Couldn't be any happier with the iPhone!

13. iphoneg33k macrumors member

You know what I waited until I got out of my contract with them... Then I found out that I had to pay to break the contract... That pissed me off because the rep gave me wrong information.

When I told verizon I was leaving because of the false information the wanted to offer me a good deal on other phone. I told them I was very upset I had to pay...

I'm happy with ATT@t... So far I had my iphone for about 1 month. Wife is happy also she got her free phone with keypad also. We will see in the long run how it goes.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Welcome to the iphone world! If you're interested in a referral credit, let me know and I'll send you one (just PM your first and last name and email address). We'll each get $25 and you'll have the ability to refer up to 5 people per year yourself and earn $125 in the process.

15. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The text message plan change loophole has expired, as far as I know. The reason you could do that is the same for any change to the contract that you say "adversely affects" you. Read any cellphone contract and you'll see there's a clause in it that spells out how this works. They actually can't change the contract unilaterally without your approval, but by doing nothing after they announce the change, you ARE giving your approval of the contract change. The contract will spell out how long you have after the announcement to get out of it without penalty (usually 30 or 60 days).

Verizon will probably argue with you over what constitutes an "adverse effect," but the law is actually on your side. They can't change the contract you signed in any way without your acceptance of it. If you don't accept it, they can't punish you because they broke the contract. I had to talk to a couple of different Verizon phone representatives to get my ETF dropped, but they did do it. If necessary, you could point out that there's a massive class action lawsuit winding its way through the courts regarding the ETF, and that when they lose it, you'll just get your money back plus more anyway.

The downside of this perfectly legal way to end your cellphone contract for free is that you have to wait for Verizon (or whichever carrier) to announce a change to the contract. This almost always appears as a note on your bill.