Carrier Verizon: Using Another Line's Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Aug 29, 2015.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

With the release of the new iPhone, my wife told me to use her line's upgrade for myself and give her my iPhone 6 (both of our lines are on 1 data-sharing account). However, even though I've pre-ordered with Verizon before, I haven't done this before.

Is there anyone who has who can tell me exactly how the process of using another line's upgrade works?

Thanks.

2. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

When you go through the checkout process, just select your wife's phone as the upgrade you would like to use.

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, and then? Is the phone not then associated with her line?

4. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Probably best to go to a verizon store now and get a new nanosim before you get the phone. You can swap the sims over the phone with Verizon, but in my experience, something always goes wrong and I have to wait 24 hours. A new, unused sim solves this.

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Forgive my ignorance, but why would I need a NANOSIM? It was ship with one, right, so couldn't I put that one in my current iPhone 6 that I'm giving to her and put my current SIM in the ew iPhone 6(S)? Or is that not how it works?

6. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

In my experience, you can't just swap them like that before it's activated. I supposed you could activate the new phone on her line as and then swap sims. I've always did this with lines from different accounts, it may be different if you are swapping sims with phones on the same account.

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for your help & advice.

8. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Another way you can do this is by preordering on Verizon's website. They let you transfer upgrades to different lines, so you could just use your wife's upgrade on your line and it would reset her line's 2 year contract and keep yours the same.

9. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh, really? I didn't know this. I may hop over there and play around to see about transferring the upgrade. I didn't know it was that easy. Have you personally done this?

Thanks!

10. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

I did this exact thing last year. I suggest doing this, topic creator. It's easy and does exactly what you want.

11. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've done it twice. It's pretty easy. I'm not this year because my upgrade is actually on my line this time :p. I always take my other family member's upgrades each year because they're not interested in the latest phones like I am.

12. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thank you both.