Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget reports on a leaked internal memo from Verizon to its staff members promoting Apple's iPad as an "opportunity" to sell its data plans, seeking to encourage customers to purchase a Wi-Fi iPad model and pair it with Verizon services such as MiFi to provide cellular data connectivity.

Verizon's proposal comes with a tradeoff for customers. The company cites the $130 premium carried by 3G-capable iPad models, an upfront cost unnecessary for those customers sticking with Wi-Fi models for use with Verizon's data plans. Alternatively, those customers could purchase a MiFi device for as little as $49.99 from Verizon, but that pricing requires a two-year data contract in comparison to the 3G-capable iPad's contract-free data plan pricing.

On the plus side for Verizon, its MiFi device, which taps into the carrier's cellular network to generate a local Wi-Fi network, can be used to provide access to any Wi-Fi enabled devices and up to five at the same time. Compared to AT&T's iPad service, which obviously is limited only to the iPad itself, Verizon's arrangement offers more flexibility for users who might also want to connect their notebook or other device such as an iPod touch to a network while on the go.

Verizon's MiFi proposal does require, however, that users carry a separate device in addition to their iPad. And on the pricing front, the two-year MiFi contract is priced at $39.99 per month for 250 MB of data or $59.99 per month for 5 GB of data, significantly higher that AT&T's contract-free iPad-only data plans priced at $14.99/250 MB or $29.99/unlimited per month. Consequently, Verizon's strategy seems to likely hold appeal primarily for those customers with multiple Wi-Fi devices requiring cellular data access.

Article Link: Verizon Viewing iPad as Opportunity to Push MiFi Service

Last edited:

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
or JB your iPhone and pay $10 for MyWi and turn your iPhone into a wireless hot spot.

Comment

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
$50 dongle, 2 year contract, higher monthly fees, all in order to save $130 in up-front cost. I must be missing something. I don't see that as anything even close to a good deal. That $130 gets accounted out after less than 3 months on Verizon.

Comment

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
The MiFi option (depending on pricing) could be a good way to go if you have multiple devices needing web access.

Must be able to get MiFi from other carriers??!!??

Comment

iggibiggi

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
or JB your iPhone and pay $10 for MyWi and turn your iPhone into a wireless hot spot.

Do you know if the iPad will find the iphone's signal? Because I know an ipod touch cant find my JBed iphone's signal. Only computers seem to be able to find it.

Comment

neuregulin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
New York City
Who would carry iPad around?

iPad is mainly for home use, where WiFi is usually there (considering you already by an iPad....)

Though people may carry it otherwhere, I doubt it would be used like an iPhone (which you want to be connected all the time)...

And THe $$$$$$$ Verizon is waving right in front of my eye really pissed me.....

Comment

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
MiFi rocks! I have it in my conversion van. When we go on trips, etc, my kids can connect their Itouch devices, laptops etc to it. When I use my iPhone and I am in the boonies, I can still make calls over wifi and verizon network.

Comment

BritinNC

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
NC
I already taken this route since I had to get a new wireless solution for my Laptop (I had an AT&T card and it just never worked, then I went to a meeting with a friend who had a Verizon data plan and it was like being at home with cable!).

I managed to get the MiFI device for $50 after rebates, etc but had to sign a 2 year plan (not a problem for me). The service is $39 or so a month but I can use it for the iPad and my laptop, I even used it the other day for my iPhone when AT&T coverage let me down again!

The main problem is this thing is a little too easy to leave lying around. Verizon does offer an insurance plan but its an extra $4 per month but covers if you break it or lose it. I think the device is about $300 without a plan so the insurance is a good deal if you might have to get it replaced with a couple of years. I'm usually pretty good with my stuff, but I've almost left this thing sitting on a desk twice now.

Now what I need is an iPad case that has a little pocket to store the MiFi device. I've been searching but haven't found what I need right now.

I think this is a good solution if:

1) You have other devices you want to use the plan (theoretically you could use this with the iPhone as well but it would be a bit of a pain)
2) You want a backup plan to the terrible AT&T data service
3) You don't mind carrying around a little device about the size of 3 credit cards stacked on top of each other (I had hoped it would fit in a wallet but it really doesn't, so you need to remember to take it with you)

Now all I need is the iPad!

Comment

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
Palm Pre Plus

Even better, use a Palm Pre Plus and Mobile Hotspot ($40/mo) instead of buying a MiFi, signing a contract and paying $60/mo.

Palm FTW.

Comment

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Do you know if the iPad will find the iphone's signal? Because I know an ipod touch cant find my JBed iphone's signal. Only computers seem to be able to find it.

That's a good question. I think with the standard wifi tether hack it wouldn't work because you had to create an adhoc connection. with mywi, it turns your iphone into an wireless broadband router.

I just tested it with a ipod touch and an additional iphone and both were able to see and connect to my iphone running the mywi app. So it should work.

Comment

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Hey, Verizon! This is not a solution.

The solution is to sell the MiFi device for $130, match (or come close to) AT&T's pricing and not require a contract! Otherwise, why bother with an extra dongle?

Comment

feamster

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
I have a mifi

I agree that the price ($60 a month) is painful but I travel and picked up a mifi as soon as they were available last summer. I use it with my iphone, macbook pro, and other laptops in the household. Granted if it wasn't a business expense I wouldn't consider it but it does provide maximum flexibility. And legal tethering costs about the same on ATT. And the performance is acceptable and you can have multiple devices accessing the access point at the same time. Plus it's not much bigger than a thumb drive and will sit in your shirt pocket while you use it. Down side is when not plugged into AC I doubt it will last as long as the Ipad. Of course if you can plug it in it won't be draining your Ipad batteries.

I already had a usb dongle so I was already paying the $60. The cost was about $240 (full price).

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Let's say you get an iPad and pay for data for 2 years.

AT&T:
$130 - 3G option
$720 - $30/mo for unlimited data - can end anytime
____
$850 - total

Verizon:
$50 - Verizon MiFi device
$1440 - $60/mo for 5gb - contracted
_____
$1490 - total

How is that appealing? Sure, you save $80 upfront, but that disappears in 3 months of paying their data prices.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
This would have worked, I would even do it, but they would have to drop the contact and come close to matching ATTs data pricing for the iPad.

Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009

AT&T:
$130 - 3G option
____
$850 - total

Verizon:
_____
$1490 - total

How is that appealing? Sure, you save $80 upfront, but that disappears in 3 months of paying their data prices.
You can connect multiple devices to the MiFi, so it's not just for the iPad.

Comment

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
MiFi rocks! I have it in my conversion van. When we go on trips, etc, my kids can connect their Itouch devices, laptops etc to it. When I use my iPhone and I am in the boonies, I can still make calls over wifi and verizon network.

This is one of the main reasons I carry a Verizon MiFi as well. When I travel and am not near a major city, I often don't have 3G available on my iPhone. But with the MiFi, I can still access the Verizon network's 3G speed with my iPhone and not be stuck with pitiful AT&T EDGE connection speeds, or no connection at all. I normally can't stand Verizon in general, but the MiFi is one of their best products (in my opinion). It's very handy to have a high speed wifi connection literally everywhere you go. It's small enough not to be obtrusive in a pants pocket, and I think will work really well with the iPad. I'm still torn as to whether to get the wifi only iPad or the 3G version though. Even though I'd have an internet connection with the wifi only version and my MiFi, I still would like to have the GPS feature of the 3G iPad. I can see that being very useful with a device like the iPad. I really wish they hadn't left the GPS module off of the wifi only model, but I understand that it is most likely built into the 3G card itself (Gobi 3G module, I believe?).

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005

AT&T:
$130 - 3G option
____
$850 - total

Verizon:
_____
$1490 - total

Most people look at the up front cost and disregard the long term price.

Comment

BritinNC

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
NC
I'm still torn as to whether to get the wifi only iPad or the 3G version though. Even though I'd have an internet connection with the wifi only version and my MiFi, I still would like to have the GPS feature of the 3G iPad. I can see that being very useful with a device like the iPad. I really wish they hadn't left the GPS module off of the wifi only model, but I understand that it is most likely built into the 3G card itself (Gobi 3G module, I believe?).

As crazy as this sounds I understand your thought process here, however, I'm not sure if you have to have the data plan operating for the assisted GPS to work in which case you will not only have to pay up for the 3G version but also for the data plan.

Also, having thought about this myself I think that if you have an iPhone that is with you all the time then you are going to use the iPhone for some things and the iPad for others. For example, I'll probably not put any music on the iPad because the iPhone is a better way to listen to music (and I always have it with me), but I'll probably never put another movie on the iPhone because the iPad is a better way to watch movies. That being said I have come to the conclusion that I would just use the iPhone for any GPS related stuff and its not worth the extra dollars for that feature alone.

If you plan on leaving home with just an iPad then its a difficult choice, but I won't be doing that. I may leave the house without my iPad, but I never leave without my iPhone. I'm still not convinced I can walk out without my laptop, but time (and a few more key apps being available) will tell.

Just my two cents.

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
You can connect multiple devices to the MiFi, so it's not just for the iPad.

Plus there is no 20MB download limit...

Not that the MiFi is a better deal, they screw you in overages. I have a friend that has to pay hundreds of dollars a month cause he keeps going over the limit of 5GB. Sadly he has no other option for high speed internet access (I told him to move...).

Comment

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
So still not ever worth it.

J
O
K
E
!

If you have to have wireless internet for travel, how is it not worth it? The data plan per month is the same price as AT&T's 3G USB dongles, and those are only able to connect one device at a time to the internet. At least this can connect any wifi enabled device to a 3G network, and can even handle up to 5 devices at once. And it offers a larger 3G network to connect to. So in the case of needing a mobile broadband connection, how is this not the best option out there?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.