Verizon VoLTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonbravo77, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Just received my 6 today and noticed in the packet there was a flyer for VoLTE or Advanced Calling 1.0. Went to my Verizon account and to my features and added this option ($0). Went to my other lines with the 5s on them and there is no option for this feature. I have not tried it yet since my phone is updating. Just thought it was interesting.

2. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Verizon VoLTE is only supported on the iPhone 6 or 6+

3. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Tested VoLTE on my tmobile handset and it works great.

4. Slumpey macrumors regular

where do you go online exactly to add it, couldnt find the option

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Your able to use Verizon VoLTE on a Tmobile iPhone? o_O

6. oats555 macrumors member

In the settings-> cellular, I think you also have to change LTE from data to voice and data.

7. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Yes First you must activate it on your account. Then under Cellular change it to voice and date for LTE.

It only works on 6 and 6 Plus and the clearer quality only works when calling other VoLTE devices that are also activated properly.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I guess my question is, why would anyone not want this feature activated? Why is it even an option? Does it restrict your data rate when not on a call or something?

9. jonbravo77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Go to your account, then to your phone, there should be a link on the left that says change features. Find Advanced Calling 1.0 and add the feature, then submit and confirm. Then go to your phone and under Cellular -> LTE, hit LTE and Data.

10. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Yes. Unlock Samcrap, they are compatible with one another.

11. lls4f macrumors regular

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Just enabled this on my account and my iPhone 6. Will have to test this out tonight/this weekend, but if it works I'll be very excited! Been dying to have simultaneous voice+data since my first Verizon iPhone.

13. kovey macrumors 6502a

I have the same question but nobody seems to know the answer... unless this means you could rack up high data usage by talking on the phone too much? I'd be delighted if my new iPhone 6+ could do data & voice simultaneously.

14. Lord Egregious macrumors member

The flyer says it being a first gen service that you may experience dropped calls and audio issues. They probably don't want millions of new iphones hitting the network today and nobody can make a call or something. This way they can make sure things are smooth on a medium scale before forcing it on in the future.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am a bit hazy on the details. How is VOLTE different than LTE? Is the voice clearer ala Facetime Audio?

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well according to Verizon, volte calls count towards your voice minutes, but not data (just like any other call over cel network).

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Don't know if it's more clear, but it allows Verizon users to make voice calls and use LTE data at the same time (finally!). :)

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

OK thanks, that kind of explains it. If I wanted dropped calls and audio issues, I'd just go back to AT&T. :D *rimshot*

19. aka777 macrumors 6502a

VoLTE is basically 3rd Gen VOIP. Your calls are in super-HD voice and are routed over the network via data instead of a actually connection (e.g. Skype).

Now, to hear the difference in calls, you have to be calling someone else that has HD voice. HD voice is going to be extremely noticeable for Verizon customers, as their 3G calls have been atrocious over the last few years.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So would these calls be categorized as "data" by the carrier and counted against the data cap? Would the consumer have a choice to not use the "data" if he/she were close to data limit or was roaming internationally where data maybe more expensive than a quick call?

21. aka777 macrumors 6502a

With Verizon probably… hahahah

Just kidding. 100% free of any limits. Basically, these are two different data streams and the calls have #1 priority over the network. There are no VoLTE roaming agreements, so anyone overseas would switch down to the regular 2G/3G cellular network to make and receive a calls - when roaming.

22. twylie macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. Was able to get it activated on my account and then set on the phone using this info.