Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Noticed some different behavior with my iPhone 6S when it came to call waiting. Even a different alert "tone" for call waiting.

However I also noticed I have LTE during an active phone call.

Previously I could not activate VoLTE because of my account being a corporate account. Now I can't even find the setting in the settings menu.

Regardless it's working great!

Anyone else notice this or have an relevant information on it? Is this something Verizon rolled out main stream or do you think it's something just to do with our account?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Work colleague on iPhone 6 and 6s does not yet have this. Did you update your carrier settings (or get a dialog to do so)? Also, do you now have Wifi calling as well?

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Work colleague on iPhone 6 and 6s does not yet have this. Did you update your carrier settings (or get a dialog to do so)? Also, do you now have Wifi calling as well?

I did get a carrier update a week or so ago. Verizon carrier version 23.2.

I don't see anything about wifi calling even when I search for it using the settings search field.

After a little further investigation I notice my "enable LTE" is set to voice & data. It previously wouldn't do this because it was a corporate account.

So I'm thinking 1 of 2 things happened. Verizon rolled corporate accounts (or some of them) over to VoLTE. Or one of the higher ups at my work was able to get Verizon to do this.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

I don't see anything about wifi calling even when I search for it using the settings search field.

After a little further investigation I notice my "enable LTE" is set to voice & data. It previously wouldn't do this because it was a corporate account.

So I'm thinking 1 of 2 things happened. Verizon rolled corporate accounts (or some of them) over to VoLTE. Or one of the higher ups at my work was able to get Verizon to do this.
Congrats on getting this!

Personally, I'm waiting for wi-fi calling on Verizon if I have to switch my corp phone. We have terrible cell coverage in the office due to location and nature of bldg construction. Wifi calling would be big assist to us. AT&T has it, so I am content to wait for my upgrade in April. Just hope no one needs to reach me before then!

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Congrats on getting this!

Personally, I'm waiting for wi-fi calling on Verizon if I have to switch my corp phone. We have terrible cell coverage in the office due to location and nature of bldg construction. Wifi calling would be big assist to us. AT&T has it, so I am content to wait for my upgrade in April. Just hope no one needs to reach me before then!

Well I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet. I'm on the phone a lot while driving and I've had more dropped calls in one day than I normally have in 6 months. Although I live in a major city LTE reception can still be spotty.

I'm going to use it for a week or so then decide whether to keep it on or turn it off.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet. I'm on the phone a lot while driving and I've had more dropped calls in one day than I normally have in 6 months. Although I live in a major city LTE reception can still be spotty.

I'm going to use it for a week or so then decide whether to keep it on or turn it off.
Yeah when it was first announced it was stated it would not hand off to the cellular network so if lost LTE the call would drop. Also stated they were working on updates that would support this transfer. No idea when they plan on doing it tho. Thought in 2015 but apparently not.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah when it was first announced it was stated it would not hand off to the cellular network so if lost LTE the call would drop. Also stated they were working on updates that would support this transfer. No idea when they plan on doing it tho. Thought in 2015 but apparently not.

With me it's when I see 3G, so the call drops. Thankfully that is becoming more rare considering how dreadfully slow Verizon's 3G is.

I can see myself using it until it drops a very important phone call with someone that's difficult to get back in touch with (Doctor, lawyer, a human being at Comcast).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
With me it's when I see 3G, so the call drops. Thankfully that is becoming more rare considering how dreadfully slow Verizon's 3G is.

I can see myself using it until it drops a very important phone call with someone that's difficult to get back in touch with (Doctor, lawyer, a human being at Comcast).
Yep thats when it drops. Basically LTE drops and reverts to 3g and when it does so does the call because the voice call needs LTE. Will be nice when they get this seamless hand-off implemented.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yep thats when it drops. Basically LTE drops and reverts to 3g and when it does so does the call because the voice call needs LTE. Will be nice when they get this seamless hand-off implemented.
Is there an actual plan for that? My understanding is that because Verizon uses CDMA for everything up to LTE that there really isn't a practical way to do a handoff from LTE (there is to GSM but not so much to CDMA).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Noticed some different behavior with my iPhone 6S when it came to call waiting. Even a different alert "tone" for call waiting.

However I also noticed I have LTE during an active phone call.

Previously I could not activate VoLTE because of my account being a corporate account. Now I can't even find the setting in the settings menu.

Regardless it's working great!

Anyone else notice this or have an relevant information on it? Is this something Verizon rolled out main stream or do you think it's something just to do with our account?

Verizon VoLTE has been around since May of 2014 I think. I initially kept it turned off because of the lack of towers that supported it.

Pros:

- Data while on a call

Cons:

- Drops calls if you are traveling and hit a tower that doesn't support VoLTE.

The setting to control it is under settings > cellular > enable LTE > Off, Voice & Data or Data only.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Verizon VoLTE has been around since May of 2014 I think. I initially kept it turned off because of the lack of towers that supported it.

Pros:

- Data while on a call

Cons:

- Drops calls if you are traveling and hit a tower that doesn't support VoLTE.

The setting to control it is under settings > cellular > enable LTE > Off, Voice & Data or Data only.

I know its been around, I was referring to corporate accounts like I mentioned in the post you quoted.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
They may not finish a fix for switching between LTE and 3G. As far as I know, they will no long expand 3G, only LTE. So there's really no point if they make it LTE everywhere.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Is there an actual plan for that? My understanding is that because Verizon uses CDMA for everything up to LTE that there really isn't a practical way to do a handoff from LTE (there is to GSM but not so much to CDMA).

They may not finish a fix for switching between LTE and 3G. As far as I know, they will no long expand 3G, only LTE. So there's really no point if they make it LTE everywhere.

Yeah I remember seeing at some point that was on the horizon but everything I see since then suggests not. Have now read several places (older articles) that they were waiting on getting their LTE expanded before rolling out VoLTE to start with due to this issue. So it now appears Chazz08 that you are correct. If they concentrate on getting LTE in place of 3g there there is no need for this option on Verizon and it appears that is their plan.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Yeah I remember seeing at some point that was on the horizon but everything I see since then suggests not. Have now read several places (older articles) that they were waiting on getting their LTE expanded before rolling out VoLTE to start with due to this issue. So it now appears Chazz08 that you are correct. If they concentrate on getting LTE in place of 3g there there is no need for this option on Verizon and it appears that is their plan.
:) I actually work for VZW, so that's how I knew that. The issues with it switching between the two is that LTE isn't a CDMA technology, and our 3G is. It was great when it was mostly about dropped calls, hence the "Can you hear me now" campaign. CDMA was better at handing off calls between towers, but now it's all about internet and speed.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H

I work in IT for a local Corporation, with Admin rights to the Verizon account. All I had to do was contact VZW Business IT, explain them that I wanted this added... They then gave me a special number and an email address for a special team that handles large changes for business. I then emailed the special VZW team to have our Sales iPhone 6's provisioned for VoLTE.... basically just turn it on. Once on, then we had to have each person go to settings, and turn it on; after a phone reboot.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I work in IT for a local Corporation, with Admin rights to the Verizon account. All I had to do was contact VZW Business IT, explain them that I wanted this added... They then gave me a special number and an email address for a special team that handles large changes for business. I then emailed the special VZW team to have our Sales iPhone 6's provisioned for VoLTE.... basically just turn it on. Once on, then we had to have each person go to settings, and turn it on; after a phone reboot.

That's very interesting. No one above me would have gone thru that much effort to have the feature activated. And obviously we all didn't have to turn it on....it was just on.

Thanks for the reply.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
That's very interesting. No one above me would have gone thru that much effort to have the feature activated. And obviously we all didn't have to turn it on....it was just on.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem... I had to request this because of our Corporate Data package. Some of our phones had the feature and some would not have it. So, I emailed them the list of iPhone 6's that needed the option added Voice and Data over LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.