Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
My wife and I each have the iPhone 4S. I have it on Verizon and she has hers on AT&T. I noticed that the Verizon db signal holds a lot more steady vs AT&T. Her's bounces around from 80-100, which the Verizon is more steady at -90. She shows more bars at 2-4, which I have a constant 3 and drop to 2 when I'm in the center of house. Any one have any experience this before?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't think you can compare the two. They're based on different technology, the algorithm for calculating signal strength is likely completely different, and one phone could be bouncing between two (or more) towers while the other is stationary on one tower. Coverage and tower position for the two services are certainly doing to be completely different.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I do realize they use different signals. The best I've seen in town was -40 on ATT. I guess the ratios of when to increase or decrease a signal bar varies for each provider.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I think Verizon has better building penetration and they have more towers than any other carrier. This could have something to do with it.

I could be entirely wrong, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.