Verizon vs. At&t MiFi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jfk3674, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jfk3674 macrumors member

HI,

In our household we have both a 3g and a WiFi Ipad (just couldn't wait until the 3g). The problem is the person who gets the Wifi one always feels useless when we go out of Wifi range.

We're looking at both the Verizon and AT&T mifi devices. I'm thinking these could both come in handy not only for the Wifi pad, but we are traveling in Italy, and could then be able to use our Iphones and the Ipads on our own wifi and turn off any cell data roaming. Heck even use Skype then for phone calls.

Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other? Or any experience traveling and using mifi? I am leaning to Verizon because they seem to have a better data plan (200mb vs 3gb), plus it's only a 1 year contract so if this thing doesn't work exactly like I think then we're not stuck for 2 years.

2. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

If you're traveling in Italy - Verizon Mifi will be of no use there. Verison uses CDMA technology, not compatible with European carriers. AT&T will allow you to roam, but you may want to check on roaming data charges ahead of time, as they tend to be astronomical.

3. poloponies Suspended

I saw somewhere that TIM stores have microSIMs for the iPad for not a lot of money - a far better option for use in Italy (obviously not for the WiFi iPad).

4. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Is there an AT&T MiFi that I don't know about?

Scratch that......I just saw the press release from today. Wow. About time.

5. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

AT&T just amazes me....and I have been a customer since the early 90's.

They finally decide to offer a mifi, but somehow decide to charge $50 for the device (after rebate). For data, they offer 200 MB's for $35.00 per month or 5 GB's for $60.

Verizon, on the other hand, will "sell" their device for free and then 3 GB's for $35 or 5 GB's for $50.

I see that they are offering a newer version of the mifi, but do they really think the new model makes that big of a difference? How do they expect to be competitive? For the "ease" of having a single bill, I would pay $35 for 3 GB's or even 2 GB's, but 200 MB's???? :confused:

6. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I always find decisions like this easier by selecting the one who has a better coverage area. I've been with Verizon for 15 years. I like them but it's also because AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and the rest have horrible coverage in my area, out in the country here.

7. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing but I think their justification is that it runs at HSPA+ speeds. That's all I've got. Hahaha. I was disappointed at the data costs. The device cost seems to be on point. It doesn't look like it's no contract pricing though either. Ugh.

8. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

Yes, the cost of the device doesn't really bother me. It's the recurring monthly charge that is just so off. The speed is certainly a plus, particularly if you have 5 devices attached (at least I would assume that would make a difference).

I did some more research last night and see that the AT&T's mifi is a newer device/model, with several more options available on it, including the ability to add memory. It also has its own OS. So it is a newer device with more features. However, I don't know how that justifies the cap difference from 200 MB's to 3 GB's for the $35/month plan.

9. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Yep. I agree. I think it says the thing has GPS as well. Oh well. I live in a 4G area and pay $55 a month (no contract) for unlimited 4G and 5GB 3G. I'm sticking with it. Hahaha.

10. leonia1947 macrumors newbie

Confused about Verizon vs. AT&T service

I am considering buying an IPad with ‘3G’. AT&T offers the IPad with potential connectivity to AT&T’s 3G cellular network. Verizon offers one with connectivity to “MiFi™2200 Hotspot”, which I take to be a 3G system.

So, can I buy an IPad with 3G from either supplier (Apple or Verizon) and switch between the two services? In other words, does purchase through the Apple store slave me to AT&T only, with no option to later switch to Verizon? Or the reverse: does purchase through Verizon mean that I cannot change to AT&T service later?

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

All iPads come unlocked so you can use any carrier that supports GSM 3G (i.e., not VZW). With Verizon you just get a MiFi to lug around with your wifi iPad.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

T-Mobile is an option

I went with t-mobile mytouch 4g (MT4G). It has built in wifi access point, unlimited Internet and is a phone that would work in Italy if you get a sim locally. It's fantastic and has full range of android features. It works indoors in many places AT&T has only 1 bar on my iPhone 4. It is not real good in small rural areas. Verizon is better in the hinterlands.

Obviously cheaper to pay AT&T for tethering on iPhone but I hate give them more money and 4g screams on the iPad when I'm in 4g areas.

Cheers,