Verizon vs AT&T - NYC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nick521, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Nick521 macrumors member

Dec 5, 2010

I know this has been discussed here before, but after today's news about the Verizon plans, I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion.

What are your recommendations between AT&T and Verizon? I was all set to purchase the Verizon iPad on Friday (as I am a VZW subscriber), but I went into two of their stores today and there is indeed a $35 activation fee everytime you reactivate the 3G. There is a workaround by SUSPENDING the service, but you have to remember to suspend it monthly, prior to being billed.

I am in NYC. I was wondering how AT&T's data is here and throughout the country.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2010
    for the places ive been, delaware, virginia, idaho, near the cities its great but suburbs tend to suck horribly with edge the only reason i sold my 3g ipad and iphone 4 and went sprint evo 4g to tether to wifi ipad
  3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    AT&T data is not as consistent over NYC as Verizon. However, an activation fee every time you start service is a no-go. It's just plain greedy.
  4. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks! I know, it's insane. I hope it changes by Friday, but I doubt it.
  5. macabouttobe, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

macabouttobe macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2007
    I travel through there about every other month and my 3g AT&T Ipad has had no problems. I understand it was an issue in the past, but AT&T has been pouring tons of capital in NY and SF that only a Verizon bigot would say has had no effect. There is a fairly reasonable return policy if you hedge your bets and things don't work out in your particular patch.. I thought I would not be using 3g very much and so far I've been at the lower 200meg tier. I have to say that I've exercised my ability to not renew twice now (6 months with ipad) when I knew I may not have a need for it for a while and the flexibility there is priceless. easy to "cancel" out via my ipad. I didn't know V had a re-activation fee, and for my use that would equate to a Term Commit. Maybe things will change but that is nuts. But I love being able to re-activate at a moments notice should I need it for whatever reason (and there usually is). Planning a few family road trips this summer and I know I'm going up to the 2gig and again the knowledge I can cancel or downgrade or re-activate or de-activate at my whim/will that is the carrier I'm going to partner with.
  6. Cha macrumors regular

May 1, 2010
    Depends which part of NYC you are mainly located. The areas like around Times Square and Rockefeller Center, the 3G service is almost unusable (during the day)... But I have had great service on the Upper West and Upper East side...
  7. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks. I guess I may need to stick with Verizon, but they are getting too greedy. They took away the Annual Upgrade, VIP status (if you spend over a certain amount), etc.
  8. Cha macrumors regular

May 1, 2010
    Wow I did not realize VZ has changed so much... I will be staying on the AT&T for my iPad, because of the grandfathered unlimited plan. But I have to turn off the mail fetch during work, since the connection to the mail servers keeps hanging/really slow when I am in NYC... :(

Also, your 3G performance is different based on how high or low you live/work in the buildings...