Verizon vs. AT&T real world test results on iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattaz02, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mattaz02 macrumors member

I originally bought a Verizon iPad2 last week giving up hope that I would ever find an AT&T model in stock, but lo and behold this morning I was able to snag a 64GB white AT&T model at my local Apple store in Peoria, AZ at Arrowhead Mall. I was about 50th or so in line and got really lucky!!! Thats besides the point. Since I have both models I figured I would post some real world test results. These test were taken in north Phoenix. The first test was inside with AT&T having only 3 Bars and the second is outside with 4 bars on AT&T and full Bars on Verizon. Looks like AT&T is a winner for me. Sorry if a post like this already exists. Let me know what your results are if you also have both models and live in a different area.

Attached Files:

2. mattaz02 thread starter macrumors member

Some more results

Attached Files:

3. iHulk1737 macrumors newbie

thanks for testing and sharing. i am sure there are many ppl like me who wants to know which is the better carrier. i didnt have the ipad1 and bought the at&t ipad2 (altho it's being sorted by eskimos in alaska right now, so i still havent had any first-hand experience with the 3G :p)

4. iMule macrumors 6502

Let's see some results on AT&T EDGE... then the test will be fair. While I'm streaming Netflix on my Verizon iPad, let's see how painful it is to access CNN.com on your AT&T iPad. It would be embarrassing in EDGE territory.

I don't think too much of you get out and travel to see how horrible AT&T is. When I'm up in an area without 3G, my iPhone is pointless for data.

Where I have AT&T 3G there's always hotspots. Thats because 3G is only in heavily populated areas.

5. thompson11 macrumors member

Just as another data point:

Berkeley, California

AT&T (tested on iPhone 4)
    .66 down / .05 up

Verizon (iPad 2)
    1.74 down / .76 up

I think the general consensus is Saturated Market (NYC, SF) = Verizon, Unsaturated Market = AT&T

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

Exactly! AT&T is fast in dense, urban areas, but absolutey terrible in most other areas. I would love to see Verizon vs. AT&T Edge as well.

7. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Let's see the results on your Verizon unlimited data plan.

OH WAIT SNAPCRACKFIZZLE

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

:cool: lol!

9. distemp macrumors regular

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

Edge vs 3g? wtf? Why not race a Ford Mustang against a... well, a real mustang?

Who would get the ATT ipad knowing that they live in an area with poor coverage?

11. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Me :eek:, but supposedly AT&T has way more coverage of 3G in my area starting the 31ST.

Well, that's what the map says!

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

No offense, because I know you were just trying to post some interesting data and get feedback, but given that you can literally move 5 feet and have very different results, this type of test is essentially meaningless. There are just too many variables involved. People typically know who the "A game" carrier(s) are in their area.

Again, I mean no disrespect but this really won't be of great meaning.

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

I wish you luck friend. It must be irritating as all hell waiting for pages to load T_T

14. imacericg macrumors regular

I do simular tests between my AT&T iPhone and my Verizon iPad and find that my iPad is about 50% slower than my iPhone.

I was in Vegas for 5 days this past weekend and we had 3 AT&T iPhones in our group, none of us could use the web, text or call each other. We had to use my Verizon iPad for everything.

This drives home the point that even though Verizon maybe slower, its more reliable.

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just ran 3 tests here in downtown Miami with 4 bars (Verizon).

1. .65mb
    2. .68mb
    3. 1.05mb

16. mattaz02 thread starter macrumors member

Who says I moved only 5 feet. Do you think I live in a trailer? I moved at least 8 1/2 feet! Lol. I was going to do more tests in different areas and post them as well but I gave my Verizon iPad to my sister who's about an hour away. I may post some later. Thanks for the feedback:)

17. mattaz02 thread starter macrumors member

I have the same problem in Vegas! Which is why I'm thinking about changing the iphone to Verizon and having the AT&T iPad, since I'll use my phone a lot more than the iPad.

18. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

results still don't completely mean anything except you get better results with at&t IN YOUR AREA. a lot of other people might be the same and a lot of people will get better results with yes VERIZON.

19. iRabbit macrumors 6502

At first I was fine with the fact I bought the Verizon iPad... Then I started to read all the negative in these forums. On Sunday, my mom had her Verizon iPhone here so I compared it to my AT&T phone, and her downloads were far from slow and MUCH snappier than mine.

I live in NY.

I figure, between m AT&T iPhone and Verizon iPad, Ive got all bases covered :)

20. mattaz02 thread starter macrumors member

I understand that. That's why I invited other people to post their results to get some different data. Thx for the response.

21. tirnszw, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

tirnszw macrumors member

Verizon Result in SF Bay Area

I had a chance to test the speed while riding bus so here you go:

Tested by Speedtest.net App.

Verizon iPad 2 32GB in San Francisco Bay Area (BERKELEY)

Signal Strength: 5 Bars

Test Date: Mar 27, 2011 12:03
    Connection Type: Cellular
    Server: San Francisco, CA
    Download: 2.17 Mbps
    Upload: 0.91 Mbps
    Ping: 170 ms

So Verizon got the coverage and got the speed in my area. Anyone with AT&T result in SF Bay Area? It would be interesting to know. AT&T or Verizon really depends on location and signal strength. ;)

22. medora66 macrumors newbie

I posted about this on another thread, but this might have been the better place, so ...

If you travelled extensively through rural America ... with no real pattern, no no way to predict where you are going to be ... and it was really important to have reliable service/gps in these areas ... would you go Verizon or AT&T?

The coverage maps seem to indicate that Verizon has far more 3G areas than AT&T (where they go down to Edge), but I have no idea whether those maps are reliable.

We're journalists and are all over the place, so it's really tough to figure this out. Big cities usually aren't part of our agenda, tho.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

23. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Stick with Verizon they are much more reliable in more areas.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The raw speeds are irrelevant to me. I got 3G as a backup to WiFi, and as a motorcyclist I am usually riding where there is no ATT 3G coverage so VZW is a no brainer.

25. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Vegas? Come on. I was just there a month ago and I had rock solid AT&T signal just about everywhere, with the exception of deep inside some hotels.