Verizon Vs. At&t Service is it worth the switchover

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maceleven, Dec 29, 2010.

?

Verizon Vs. At&t Service is it worth the switchover

1. Verizion service

28 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. At&t service

41 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. maceleven macrumors 6502

Verizon Vs. At&t Service is it worth the switchover ?

Or are we better off staying with At&t ?

my contract is over i have the iPhone 4 bought it out right.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on the service in your area I suppose
    And family or friends you have on each network

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Depends on your coverage. AT&T can be greater or worse than Verizon. It all comes down to where you live.

4. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I know I'm not the first to say it but I think AT&T's service, at least within the past year, has greatly decreased it the southern california area. I use to get full 3G, 2.5 mbps download speeds and 1.5 mbps upload speeds in my house and now I can't get over 1 mbps and I have 1 bar in my house. Dropped calls and increased dramatically and it sucks when I have to wait 20 seconds for a phone call to connect (hear the ringing) or to simply drop altogether. If Verizon gets the iPhone, AT&T will lose a lot of customers. They simply have no leg to stand on. Their future is all going towards 3G towers to help with the backup and let's be honest, their not going to have any LTE worth bragging about until the end of 2012. They can't even brag about their "Fastest mobile broadband network" slogan anymore because they simply aren't.

With all that aside, it boils down to how the service is in your area. If AT&T sucks but you have to have an iPhone, then once it comes out for Verizon, the obvious choice is to switch (assuming the service on Verizon is good in your area). However, if AT&T is great and you haven't had a problem, why would you switch?

I think more people are getting fed up with AT&T and their lackluster service. Before they were #2 or #3 on the customer boards but now they are dead last and for good reason. I really can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone because it will hurt AT&T (remember the study, upwards of 30% of iPhone users would switch?). I'm not saying everyone is going to switch at once, but Verizon will steal a lot of AT&T users. Remember, "free" market society, competition always benefits the consumer and with the iPhone going to Verizon, it will create one hell of a competition for AT&T to try to hold onto it's already dangling iPhone customers.

5. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I was dead set on switching but have since decided that I am going to hold off until AT&T lights up there LTE network as well. The absolute only way I would switch earlier is if the Verizon version drops with LTE early this year before AT&T even gets around to it, which I don't anticipate.

6. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

As always, service depends on the area but I currently own an iPad 3G with AT&T and a Droid X. My Droid X consistently has better coverage than my iPad everywhere I've been. Also, building penetration seems to be better on verizon which allows my phone to have service while my iPad has no signal at all.

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yeah. Just one of the reasons why I would like a Verizon iPhone.

9. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

This is why I wouldn't switch, being contracted with UL data. But who knows if they'll pull this option once the next-gen iPhones arrive?

If VZ offers 'truly' unlimited data on their (pseudo-4G, hopefully) iPhone, and a substantial service/speed upgrade experience to the end user, I'd consider.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol.

1 - The iPhone is only on AT&T so how would you switch to Verizon?
    2 - You bought an iPhone 4 outright and your worried about which carrier is better? Really?

Please stop.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

They are both fine............ depending on your location!!!

Your iP4 will be great on Verizon! :eek:

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on where you live.
    I travel to the white mountains area of NH and verizon is clearly superior to ATT. In Boston, where I work, and the Boston metro area, both are fine..

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

That doesn't mean it will be fast. I think the voice service will be better but the 3G service can't multitask voice with data.

14. jthomp macrumors regular

I am starting to get sick of this debate... I have had ATT for years and have never had an issue with service... I've had RAZR's, ROKR's, KRAZR's, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS and now iPhone 4. Before ATT I had sprint, and when I was out in the sticks I didn't have coverage. You must be thinking, ZOMGLOZOMNOMNOM! What did you do? You know what? I survived! It all comes down to location (which is a diminishing argument), usage characteristics, usage of the phone, etc... I have family members that upgraded from old Verizon phones to iPhone's and say nothing but fantastic things about the iPhone. I guess only time will tell...

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't hang my hat on that, as VZW is moving toward a tiered system like AT&T

16. Max. macrumors member

Max.

I read somewhere on this forum that there's actually a 5GB cap, but I'm not certain if that's true or not.

I would choose AT&T over Verizon personally, their service is fine in the Miami area (currently in the UK for winter) and I prefer the option of changing my sim-card, I'm using a Vodafone sim at the moment in my iPhone to avoid roaming charges and it works perfectly, if the Verizon iPhone came w/o this then it'd be a no-go for me as I travel back + forth to the UK during holiday seasons with my family.

As mentioned before, the simultaneous data may apply to some but I rarely call, I have thousands of rollover minutes as I only used 47 seconds of my minutes last month. :p

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

VZW has proven to be superior to me for my location. I go with what works.

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I use to have unlimitted data with AT&T but stupid me wanted to save $5/mo and downgraded to the $25/mo 2GB/mo plan.

Chester - iPhone using Tapatalk

19. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

In Miami Dade area (Broward and Palm Beach) AT&T has 3G coverage just about anywhere and I have experienced bad reception, only one time iPhone there was an iPhone data outage that lasted one whole day. I have not had Verizon so I can't speak on it, but Inhabe tried tmobile and compared to AT&T, tmobile is very bad and their 3G signal always drops in and out and in my home with tmobile I only used to get 1 bar or SOS at most.

Verizon I hear is great in the Miami metro area, but so is AT&T.

20. dagored macrumors 65816

I had Alltel and Verizon bought them out. I did not have any problems with Alltel, however Verizon, for some reason no one could explain, sent many of my calls to voicemail. Phone did not even ring. We tested this at the Verizon store. They could not explain it, but told me that if I purchased a new phone, read in here 2 year contract, it would work without a problem.

They guaranteed it . Yeah right. Switched to AT&T in June with the iPhone 4. I get more minutes for the same money, my phone now rings (plays songs, etc) and does a host of things that are, to me, great. Oh yes, roll over minutes, not on Verizon.

This is the first time in years that I have actually used and carried my cell phone everywhere. AT&T has been great for me. The wife will not give up her's either.

21. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I will not say AT&T provides the best service but AT&T works just fine for me. I have been with AT&T for about 10 years now in 4 different states through and I can't complain. Moreover, most of my friends and family use AT&T and if I switched to Verizon, I'm sure I'd be paying a lot more for voice because my mobile to mobile calling with Verizon would barely serve the purpose.

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've got multiple lines with AT&T and several lines with Verizon as well. For my business, we use Tmobile and a few Sprint phones so you can throw them into the mix as well if it matters.

The single biggest thing you are going to learn about moving from AT&T to Verizon is that while your voice call quality will DRAMATICALLY improve in almost all parts of the country, your data speeds may not or even get worse if you happen to stray too far from their faster EVDO coverage areas and slip into 1RTXX or whatever they call their sub-56K speed areas. It makes EDGE look like a speed demon by comparison.

The second thing you'll miss, unless the rumored tech improvements happen in time for a VZW release, is the inability to do data/voice simultaneously. I admit that I don't do this that often but there have been times when its great to be on AT&T for this very reason. For example, I'm on a conference call and someone says "oops, wrong conference bridge, lets jump over to the other one....whats that number?" If I'm on AT&T, I can remain on the line, jump out and hit our company intranet and get the number and shoot it to them via an email right then and there. Today, on Verizon, I'd have to say "Sorry, gotta hang up and look that up for you, I'll send it to you after this call." It's a minor inconvenience but its still an inconvenience. I'm not sure how this would impact other things like wanting to talk on the phone and still use GPS functionality.....others would have to chime in.

Otherwise, the pricing isn't that different....although by consolidating onto Verizon I will save money since I won't have two different family plans running.

Overall, I'm very happy with Verizon and just slightly less so with AT&T. But I'd definitely move over to Verizon if the iPhone was offered just for the ability to get everyone onto the same plan. Data consumption isn't a huge deal for me but loss of the grandfathered Unlimited plan may be to others.

23. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I for one never had any problems with att and i would not want to get rid of my unlimited data.

24. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Data and voice simultaneous is a must. At&t's 3G network has alwaya supported and I love the fact Incan talk and surf at the same time.

25. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I live in NE Minnesota and for me At&t is the way to go. They don't have 3g in our area, but edge and wifi is fast enough. Verizon has strong service but my last 4 phones from them had terrible call/voice quality. I switched to at&t and the iPhone and have never been happier.

It really all depends on where you live. If Verizon were to get an iPhone, I would probably switch back as the rest of my family still has verizon contracts and I'd get unlimited data back.