Carrier Verizon vs ATT iPhone 7 Part Number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbddpp, Sep 19, 2016.

1. bbddpp macrumors newbie

bbddpp

I purchased an iPhone 7 128GB Plus Black outright at Target today, with the goal to be a Verizon phone with the CDMA modem.

Prior to opening the phone, I looked at the part number on the back, MN482LL/A and googled, turns out this is an ATT model number. However, on a look around at some other sites, like Best Buy, it lists MN482LL/A as the model number for the Verizon one also.

Is it possible that the 128 GB black plus only comes in a CDMA/GSM combo version, and that's why there is only one part number?

I don't want to unwrap this thing and find out that it doesn't have both modems inside. For paying full price I'd want this phone to work on any network I throw at it and also to have decent resale value.

Anyone have any insight on why the part number seems to be the same for the ATT and Verizon model?

Thanks.

2. goudok macrumors member

does it say Model A1661 or Model A1784*

3. bbddpp thread starter macrumors newbie

bbddpp

It's an A1661 - Didn't even see that on the box before. So THAT is the key number there. And it looks like that is a good one! Thank you for the reply!

4. aka777 macrumors 6502a

On a side note, why are some folks so keen on getting the Verizon model?

Unless you switch around carriers, what's the point..

5. goudok macrumors member

no point unless you are planning on using verizon within the next time you decide to upgrade your phone.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Or if you are traveling to Asia and need the roaming capability. My iPhone 6s was handy in Japan this year as it is hard to get a SIM card there except for data-only services on MVNOs who don't always have access to the full LTE networks of the large carriers. I was on 3G much of the time.

7. bbddpp thread starter macrumors newbie

bbddpp

For me just resale value -- I always personally sell my iDevices instead of trade in so the more universal models carry a slightly higher value. For my purposes, I only need GSM - Though I could theoretically try RingPlus in this model now too which I could not do in the Tmobile or ATT models.

8. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

As annoying as it is that they do this, most people don't need a world phone. Most people will probably stick to their carrier anyway. Worst comes to worst buy the Verizon model outright in store or wait for sim free, a little inconvenient but not unfixable.