Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I currently have an iPhone 4S on Verizon with Unlimited Data and I'm looking to upgrade to a 5S (assuming it's released) later this year. Most importantly, I'd like to kee my unlimited data. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade my phone once every year. To keep my unlimited currently, I'd have to buy an iPhone at full retail price ($700 for 32GB iPhone). I'd prefer not to drop $700 at once. So i was wondering, which is a better deal for someone who wants to keep unlimited data AND upgrade to a new phone every year? VZ Edge or the current Device Payment Plan plan?

Thanks!

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I think over 2 years it's close to $800 either way when you factor in the activation fees. Buying it straight up lets you keep the older phone each time (you could probably trade it into best buy or radioshack to recover half the cost). Doing the yearly upgrade plan means you pay $400 per year and lose the phone to trade in.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
You could sell the 4s for prolly at least 250. Means 450 left and keep your plan

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I currently have an iPhone 4S on Verizon with Unlimited Data and I'm looking to upgrade to a 5S (assuming it's released) later this year. Most importantly, I'd like to kee my unlimited data. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade my phone once every year. To keep my unlimited currently, I'd have to buy an iPhone at full retail price ($700 for 32GB iPhone). I'd prefer not to drop $700 at once. So i was wondering, which is a better deal for someone who wants to keep unlimited data AND upgrade to a new phone every year? VZ Edge or the current Device Payment Plan plan?

Thanks!

If the 4s is working well I say keep it, but if you're someone who has to have the latest phone and keep your UD, then the VZ Edge program seems like a good fit for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.