Verizon: whats the best way to preorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 10, 2017.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I am a Verizon customer and I em eligible to trade in my iPhone 7+ and upgrade to the X when it is released. I am super excited for the X, but I want to figure out the best way to pre order. Is it possible to pre order with Apple using my Verizon upgrade, or do I have to do it through Verizon? Do you think Verizon will be a better bet when it comes to stock? What is the best option here, and to others who are in the same boat, how will you be preordering your X?

2. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I’m personally not getting the X and got the 8, but since i have Verizon I figured I’d respond. Their stock is going to be very low - just similar to Apple’s stock if not less. Last year when the jet black/matte black were released, the Plus models in that color were easily backordered for a good 3-4 weeks.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's Difficult to say. Overall, I feel pre-ordering through Apple likely to be the best method, as Verizon may ship later. Also, I personally would avoid using their mobile application and use their desktop site if you do plan on pre-ordering through Verizon.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the response. I was fortunate enough to get my Black 7+ on launch day, but I figure it’s gonna be harder to do that with the X. I wonder if it will be easier to do it through the Apple Store app then (if it’s possible)

5. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

That’ll probably be your best option. If you’re going to preorder right at 3 AM EST (or whichever time zone you are in) then I’d try the apple store app first, but it’s going to be tough since everyone else probably will be doing the same thing and it’s just a matter of who is able to get one before they run out of stock.

6. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Also on Verizon. In general I’ve noticed that Verizon seems to run a bit behind Apple orders. Not a scientific study just an opinion.

I would recommend you wait until just after I order, :) Just kidding. Everyone feels they will in short supply so I wouldn’t delay any in ordering.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Haha I would say the same thing to everyone else ;)
    I hope that the long delay after the keynote will mean they have more stock, but I think that production issues were the reason and maybe stock will still be low. I wonder if the price will keep some people away, and also, perhaps the “beta product” aspect of it. Many average iPhone users might stay away because of that; but time will tell. If I can get one before Christmas I’ll be satisfied (though disappointed if I miss launch day haha).

8. upandown macrumors 6502a

Actually I disagree with most of you. I have been pre-ordering through verizon for a few years now. My friend always orders through Apple. Every year our phones show up the same day. We order at the same time (first minute) and we order the same phone. Usually the highest spec. Apples stock does seem to last a bit longer though.

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Verizon has gotten the iPhone 7+ and AW Series 3 to me on launch day. So I would have to agree that at least in my personal experience, they do get the devices out in time for launch day. The X is really a whole nother game though.

10. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Yea the stock for launch is the big question. I have read they expect to have 12 million for launch weekend, which considering the recorded for a launch is like 13 million, it would seem like it will be a typical Apple launch. Before everyone chimes in, it’s just my guess and at this point is as good as anyone else’s.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

If it is like a typical launch, then I would expect the people who pre-order right away will get it on launch day. That is if demand is similar to other typical launches. I’d say demand is gonna be higher.

12. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Hard to say what demand will be. How much from a typical launch did 8;8+ reduce normal demand, how concerned are some about new technologies etc all may have a reducing effect. How much time will tell.

But hopefully there will be one for me on launch day :cool:

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The whole "Beta" ideation is rather silly. On a tech site, that's what some might consider this first iPhone iteration. But in the real world, that's not a translation of anything and the average consumer has no idea what a beta device even means.

If somebody truly wants this iPhone, they will be pre-ordering it come October 27.

14. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah what I should have said was the “redesign” aspect of it; stuff like the loss of the home button and Touch ID. Some users may be put off by that and consequently not upgrade. But, like you said, the average consumer is probably gonna want this iPhone anyway, because it’s the latest and greatest and looks really really cool, regardless of what their feelings are about the features.

15. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

I am on the Verizon Edge program and get a new iPhone every year. Like last year, I will log into my account as soon as the pre-orders go live and pre-order the X in 256G Space Grey. I've already paid for 53% of my iPhone 7 Plus, so I'm ready. I will have to pay the sales tax at checkout ($70).

16. comptr macrumors 68000

All you need to do is wait till midnight log into the Verizon website and order it will ask you if you are turning in the phone and you check that box and complete the order and pay for taxes and thats it.