Verizon Wireless confirmed that they may provide unlock code for iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Flight2345, Oct 11, 2011.

1. wurt macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken I believe Verizon will also charge you extra for the month that you do go overseas with your world phone.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

What does that mean exactly, confirm they "may" unlock the phone?

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

my guess is that the iphone 4s will be treated as previous verizon world phones of yore - such as the blackberry 8830 and storm series phones. verizon will charge you extra for an international sim card, with outrageous international roaming fees. as with those blackberry phones, there was no way to just buy a sim card and use that when traveling.

i could be wrong with the implementation on the iphone 4s, but thats how verizon handled world phones in the past.

4. Flight2345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Flight2345

"may" probably means how many days it has been since you have been using the iPhone with Verizon.

I think this is perfect for anyone wanting to use local (cheap) carriers instead of Verizon's GSM partners.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

What would keep someone from buying a cheap, subsidized phone, getting it unlocked, and walking away from their contract. International buyers could save many hundreds of dollars this way over buying unlocked phones.

6. steve dave macrumors 6502a

did she really just say that she has CONFIRMED that they MAY unlock them? what the hell is that?

7. njaremka macrumors 6502

my other thoughts on this are: apple has stated that when they start selling unlocked iphone 4s's (?) that the unlocked version will not be compatible with cdma networks. now, this leads me to believe that there is a software / baseband limitation that will prevent you from using a verizon iphone 4s with a local gsm sim card, whether its unlocked or not.

something else to keep in mind for those considering this option.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I don't think an unlocked Verizon iPhone will work here in the US...

9. kimlo macrumors member

I can confirm this it is likely a probability that this might be what they said.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

11. b24pgg, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

I don't know if the iPhone 4 has a direct method to enter a permanent unlock code on the phone (other than via jailbreaking), but in the past, the iPhone could be unlocked via your service provider sending a request for your IMEI to be added to a list on Apple's servers. Then the next time you connected your iPhone to iTunes, you'd receive a carrier update which would permanently apply the unlock.

I'm guessing Verizon will have this capability. Unless the requirements have changed, this is the way to do it:

VERIZON SIM UNLOCK TUTORIAL

1. Make sure your phone line has been active and had no late payment history for at least six months. If it hasn't, VZW will likely not unlock your SIM (although sometimes a rep will make an exception.)

2. Call VZW Global Support at 1-800-711-8300 and ask the representative for your phone's SIM unlock code (or in the iPhone's case, to add your phone's IMEI to the Apple unlocked phone whitelist.)

FYI: You will not be able to use this device on AT&T or T-Mobile, even if SIM unlocked. Verizon restricts the US GSM bands on their GSM-enabled phones.

12. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Verizon has 2 offerings at order time, a phone for US only and one for International travelers. The International option required the International the calling plan for $35 usd. I'll be dropping this calling plan the second I have the phone in hand as there was nothing stating that the option had to remain on the account.

13. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I think Verizon and Sprint customers that believe the iPhone GSM will be unlocked like other models are in for a shock. I would not make any presumptions when it comes to the iPhone based on AT&T as precedent.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Thats not true. I unlocked a Blackberry Storm (which is still a Verizon exclusive here in the USA) and it worked just fine on 2G on T-mobile.

15. b24pgg, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

The Storm is a pretty old phone so they might not have been locking the US bands at that point, but they definitely did it with the Droid 2 Global last year.

They may not lock the iPhone 4S US GSM bands though, you never know.
    It's the same actual device either way. Even if you choose the first (non-international) option, you can always call and add it later.

16. Flight2345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Flight2345

Here's more info

I called Verizon by dialing 611, three different people gave me three different answers. So I asked them to transfer me to Verizon's global support.
    Here's the direct number 800-711-8300

So the good news is that Verizon WILL provide an unlock code for any world phone including iPhone 4S but you have to wait at least 60 days.

The tech lady also clarified that you can always use Verizon's GSM partners by adding global data plan but if you choose to use any other GSM carriers, you will have to wait 60 days to get the unlock code for any world phone including iPhone 4S.

-hope that helps.