Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Verizon Wireless Router w Dynamic IP Address
Hisense 55" ROKU TV
HULU w Live Channel Viewing package

Guess what happens when I lose my electricity these winter days?
I have to call HULU and tell them my NEWLY ASSIGNED Dynamic Verizon IP Address to watch Live HULU.
That's about an hours time somedays.

Dynamic is suppose to protect me from boogie men by changing IP Address

I don't know what to do. Verizon won't give me a static IP Address
HULU doesn't give a crap about my router.
I have looked for an answer to Dynamic IP Address on the web.
I have found no answer yet, save returning to Cable.
Anyone know of a way around this?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Sounds like a terrible implementation by Hulu honestly. No idea why it isn't tied to an account but needs to be tied into your ISP...makes very little sense honestly and I can't think of any other service that does that. Pretty common for an ISP to NOT have a static IP setup as dynamic makes life much easier for everyone.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Well I haven’t lost electricity this week. So no reporting a new IP. If i lose it later this month and February i may change.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's why you need a router that can support giving a device a reserved IP in its range! Cheap routers don't have this ability!
That's not relevant here. Verizon provides a dynamic IP address on the internet side of the router, so reserving an address on the local network has absolutely no effect for this problem.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
That's not relevant here. Verizon provides a dynamic IP address on the internet side of the router, so reserving an address on the local network has absolutely no effect for this problem.

That because you have a HOME account! Verizon will only give you static IP if you have a Business Account! So if your goal is get a static IP then call your ISP and get a Business Account!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
One way to minimize this would be to plug your router into a UPS battery backup. Then the router would remain online and retain its IP address when you lose electricity. Of course this depends on how long your power outages last.

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.