Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I went online yesterday to pay my bill, and was prompted to check out the upgraded plans Verizon have. I have the old Get More Unlimited Plan, and compared my plan to the new one, and it seems like a no brainer to upgrade my plan. I just want to make sure I will have more than 75GB of 4G/LTE/5G before changing. Has anyone changed to one of the newer plans and truly have unlimited 4G/LTE/5G?

Reactions: Ram65

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I went online yesterday to pay my bill, and was prompted to check out the upgraded plans Verizon have. I have the old Get More Unlimited Plan, and compared my plan to the new one, and it seems like a no brainer to upgrade my plan. I just want to make sure I will have more than 75GB of 4G/LTE/5G before changing. Has anyone changed to one of the newer plans and truly have unlimited 4G/LTE/5G?
I currently do and it is truly unlimited. Even after 75GB. I've been above that a few times and have never seen it slow down.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
How interesting. I just went to my plan and noticed a little info bar:

1641779563189.png

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I currently do and it is truly unlimited. Even after 75GB. I've been above that a few times and have never seen it slow down.

In the year I’ve been with Verizon, I haven’t went over 75GB yet. I just want to make sure that the new plan is better than the Old Get More Unlimited plan. The price is still the same which is great.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Yep, the key is always local coverage. A bargain carrier is no bargain if the network coverage isn't right. I've had Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, and (currently) Verizon. No question that Verizon has the best coverage and network speed where I live and work. We also have FiOS TV and FiOS Gigabit Internet.

A couple years back we had Optimum Online for TV and internet, and it was good. Until it wasn't. We had only Optimum as a provider in the neighborhood and then Verizon came knocking on doors. At first I said, "no interest." The prospect of changing everything game me the heebie geebies. And as long as everything worked I figured it best to leave well enough alone. When our cable TV signal started flaking I called in a help ticket. I knew exactly what and where the problem was - at the pole on an exposed connection where the main cable split off to our house. It took Optimum forever to come out for service, and when they did they said, "Sorry, we cannot climb that pole because its not ours." The phone company climbed the pole but said, Sorry, we cannot touch that connection. That's Optimum's property. So I asked Optimum about sending out one of those bucket trucks. "Oh, we don't have one available right now. How about the end of next month?" With our TV signal freezing randomly and internet cutting out constantly I tried to impress upon Optimum that I was not willing to wait a month and a half.

Verizon came back around and I signed up. They said it would be 30 days and I could cancel right up until they started work at our house. So I called Optimum and told them I began the switch to Verizon but would cancel if they could get my problem sorted out before then. "No problem, we'll get it fixed in two days." Then it became next week, again and again. The TV pixelating and freezing became more frequent daily, only serving to reassure me I was making the right choice. They ran out of excused and started recycling old excuses until the day for Verizon arrived. 4 new set top boxes plus a router, installation took about 4 hours. I went online to Optimum and officially cancelled my service, then put my old router and 4 old set top boxes, with all wires and remotes, onto a luggage cart and headed to the nearest Optimum facility. And Optimum had the BALLS to act shocked I was there giving them back their crap. "But..but...but...We can get you fixed up tomorrow!" Nope. You can't. I'm on Verizon now. Buh-bye. Optimum was looking at my case notes as I walked out the door, scratching their heads and probably getting splinters. Wooden heads and rubber feet.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, the key is always local coverage. A bargain carrier is no bargain if the network coverage isn't right. I've had Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, and (currently) Verizon. No question that Verizon has the best coverage and network speed where I live and work. We also have FiOS TV and FiOS Gigabit Internet.

A couple years back we had Optimum Online for TV and internet, and it was good. Until it wasn't. We had only Optimum as a provider in the neighborhood and then Verizon came knocking on doors. At first I said, "no interest." The prospect of changing everything game me the heebie geebies. And as long as everything worked I figured it best to leave well enough alone. When our cable TV signal started flaking I called in a help ticket. I knew exactly what and where the problem was - at the pole on an exposed connection where the main cable split off to our house. It took Optimum forever to come out for service, and when they did they said, "Sorry, we cannot climb that pole because its not ours." The phone company climbed the pole but said, Sorry, we cannot touch that connection. That's Optimum's property. So I asked Optimum about sending out one of those bucket trucks. "Oh, we don't have one available right now. How about the end of next month?" With our TV signal freezing randomly and internet cutting out constantly I tried to impress upon Optimum that I was not willing to wait a month and a half.

Verizon came back around and I signed up. They said it would be 30 days and I could cancel right up until they started work at our house. So I called Optimum and told them I began the switch to Verizon but would cancel if they could get my problem sorted out before then. "No problem, we'll get it fixed in two days." Then it became next week, again and again. The TV pixelating and freezing became more frequent daily, only serving to reassure me I was making the right choice. They ran out of excused and started recycling old excuses until the day for Verizon arrived. 4 new set top boxes plus a router, installation took about 4 hours. I went online to Optimum and officially cancelled my service, then put my old router and 4 old set top boxes, with all wires and remotes, onto a luggage cart and headed to the nearest Optimum facility. And Optimum had the BALLS to act shocked I was there giving them back their crap. "But..but...but...We can get you fixed up tomorrow!" Nope. You can't. I'm on Verizon now. Buh-bye. Optimum was looking at my case notes as I walked out the door, scratching their heads and probably getting splinters. Wooden heads and rubber feet.
I had a similar situation with Spectrum. My wife and I bought a house 3 years ago and our new neighborhood was served by Spectrum. While we were in the process of moving, I called them and scheduled an installation appointment. On the day the technician arrived, he informed me that our house is not wired for Spectrum and that they need to send an electrical contractor to complete the wiring before they can schedule the installation. The tech also mentioned that they will have to cut a hole in our driveway to run the cables. I immediately started getting apprehensive, but agreed to have them send an electrician to do the wiring. I called Spectrum and handed the phone to the technician, so he could explain to the service rep exactly what needs to be done. The rep assured me that he took detailed notes and will be dispatching an electrician to perform the connection. Unfortunately, the earliest appointment they had was a week away, but I decided to wait, opting to use my phone as a hotspot in the mean time.

While we waited for the rescheduled appointment, we found a Verizon FiOS panel in the garage. We still decided to deal with Spectrum, but at least we now had a fallback option. Fast forward a week. I get a phone call from a Spectrum contractor, informing me that he is a few minutes away. My excitement, however, was short-lived. Instead of sending an electrician, Spectrum sent a regular installer, who pretty much repeated word for word what his colleague said a week earlier. At this point, I was done. After the tech left, I called Spectrum, informed them of what just happened and let them know that I will be going with Verizon. As soon as I hung up, I called Verizon, who were able to accommodate me within two days.

The following day, a rep from Spectrum called me, asking why I decided to cancel my service appointment. I told the rep to review the notes in Spectrum's system, after which he said that they can schedule the installation that week (no apologies for their screw up, by the way). I said that I gave them two chances and the fact that they managed to screw things up twice in a row does nothing to paint their company in a positive light. The silence was deafening.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I had a similar situation with Spectrum. My wife and I bought a house 3 years ago and our new neighborhood was served by Spectrum. While we were in the process of moving, I called them and scheduled an installation appointment. On the day the technician arrived, he informed me that our house is not wired for Spectrum and that they need to send an electrical contractor to complete the wiring before they can schedule the installation. The tech also mentioned that they will have to cut a hole in our driveway to run the cables. I immediately started getting apprehensive, but agreed to have them send an electrician to do the wiring. I called Spectrum and handed the phone to the technician, so he could explain to the service rep exactly what needs to be done. The rep assured me that he took detailed notes and will be dispatching an electrician to perform the connection. Unfortunately, the earliest appointment they had was a week away, but I decided to wait, opting to use my phone as a hotspot in the mean time.

While we waited for the rescheduled appointment, we found a Verizon FiOS panel in the garage. We still decided to deal with Spectrum, but at least we now had a fallback option. Fast forward a week. I get a phone call from a Spectrum contractor, informing me that he is a few minutes away. My excitement, however, was short-lived. Instead of sending an electrician, Spectrum sent a regular installer, who pretty much repeated word for word what his colleague said a week earlier. At this point, I was done. After the tech left, I called Spectrum, informed them of what just happened and let them know that I will be going with Verizon. As soon as I hung up, I called Verizon, who were able to accommodate me within two days.

The following day, a rep from Spectrum called me, asking why I decided to cancel my service appointment. I told the rep to review the notes in Spectrum's system, after which he said that they can schedule the installation that week (no apologies for their screw up, by the way). I said that I gave them two chances and the fact that they managed to screw things up twice in a row does nothing to paint their company in a positive light. The silence was deafening.
And I had a similar experience with AT&T. I was in school and our internet just went out with no explanation. Seeing as I was taking IT classes, I had a pretty good idea of how to diagnose/fix connection issues. After going through all of the steps that would normally sort it, I called AT&T to let them know how important it was that I have working internet. The earliest they were able to schedule a tech to come out was eight days later and they had the audacity to tell me I'd be charged for the service call if they found something simple.

I was on the phone with Spectrum right after that call and they got me scheduled for same day hookup. Dropped AT&T like a bad habit and will never touch their services again.

Reactions: Sikh and Ram65

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I’m going to give it a few more days and then I’ll change to the new plan. I just wanted to make sure it is truly unlimited.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I’m going to give it a few more days and then I’ll change to the new plan. I just wanted to make sure it is truly unlimited.
The new 5G Get More released 1/5/22 gives you unlimited premium data so your data should never be deprioritized while with the older plan the limit was 50GB of premium data. Also you will receive 20 GB more of hotspot data for a total of 50 GB. Verizon will auto upgrade the previous GET MORE UNLIMITED 5G UW plan to the new 5G Get More on the start of your next billing cycle if it is after 1/24/22

• Wow
Reactions: Smoovejayy

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
The new 5G Get More released 1/5/22 gives you unlimited premium data so your data should never be deprioritized while with the older plan the limit was 50GB of premium data. Also you will receive 20 GB more of hotspot data for a total of 50 GB. Verizon will auto upgrade the previous GET MORE UNLIMITED 5G UW plan to the new 5G Get More on the start of your next billing cycle if it is after 1/24/22

Okay so I might as well let them do it then. It’s strange that they’re going to upgrade everyone immediately, where they didn’t do it in August last year. I’m still on the old Get More Unlimited plan where I have 75GB of data vs the 50GB.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Okay so I might as well let them do it then. It’s strange that they’re going to upgrade everyone immediately, where they didn’t do it in August last year. I’m still on the old Get More Unlimited plan where I have 75GB of data vs the 50GB.

Since you are on the older plan with 75GB you will not be automatically upgraded to the new plan with unlimited premium data.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah their "slow down" they say they may do is all based on current load for the tower you are connected to. If its not under a big load of connections then you end up will still normal data speeds.

Reactions: firedept

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Today I finally took the plunge and upgraded my old Get More Unlimited plan to the 5G Get More plan. I had to got through 2 reps, with the first one trying to get me to pay off my device and lose the device credits I’m getting just to upgrade my plan. The second rep took care of everything for me and I’m still getting my device credits.

Reactions: max2 and vitale

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I’
Today I finally took the plunge and upgraded my old Get More Unlimited plan to the 5G Get More plan. I had to got through 2 reps, with the first one trying to get me to pay off my device and lose the device credits I’m getting just to upgrade my plan. The second rep took care of everything for me and I’m still getting my device credits.
I’ve been busy at the last few weeks , hopefully this weekend or next I’m go to the Verizon store talk to them see what they have to offer over AT&T

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’

I’ve been busy at the last few weeks , hopefully this weekend or next I’m go to the Verizon store talk to them see what they have to offer over AT&T

AT&T will be the next carrier I try if it don’t work out with Verizon. I’ve been with them for 1.5 years and I have no complaints.

Reactions: max2 and Ram65

MacStreamer

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2020
I’ve had att for a few years and switched to Verizon 2 weeks ago. Their perks are far superior with the top tier plan.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I have the "Get More" plan with 5G and never noticed a slow down... my service has been consistent between my home state of Pennsylvania and the DC metro area:

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 6.34.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.