Verizon's "month to month" iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DUDEMANGUY5, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DUDEMANGUY5, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

I was wondering if I were to buy the Verizon iPhone 4S for full retail price(since I am less than a year into my current contract) is it possible that when my contract is over, I could switch to AT&T and keep using the 4S?

It should be one of the features... Right?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. You will need the AT&T flavor of the iPhone 4s.

3. Patriot24, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Edit: while the phone does have radios for CDMA and GSM it is unlikely that it will be unlocked from the start. In a perfect world the phone would be unlocked and you could take it to any carrier. But, the carriers in the US aren't fond of choice, hah.

I was incorrect with my first post on this topic.

4. PaulieORF macrumors regular

I'm willing to bet that the phone will be locked to only accept a Verizon SIM card, for use with global roaming. He'll probably have to unlock the phone to have it work with and AT&T SIM.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This will only be true if Verizon has the GSM side unlocked. I haven't read that they have indeed done that, and in the past they have NOT done so for their other world phones. Read up on their policy regarding this on the world phones they sell now.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yeah, you are probably right. After I posted I thought a little more about it.

7. DUDEMANGUY5 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know. I have been asking around customer service departments today and haven't really came up with anything answer wise

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you buy a Verizon iPhone 4S expecting to be able to use it on AT&T, prepare to be disappointed. There is a reason the unlocked version is gsm only. We do not yet live in a society where you can use phones among cellphone companies with incompatible networks that easily. Tmobile and AT&T is one thing. Verizon and AT&T is quite another.

I would encourage you to consider an alternate strategy. Like pick one carrier and stick with them.