Verizon's Throttling starts soon, but what if we have the $30/month 6GB plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SonRK, Sep 15, 2014.

1. SonRK macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a quick question on what you think is going to happen with people who ere offered 6GB $30/month plans around the time LTE phones were being released, AND those who got the 5S subsidized from the Verizon "error" last year and were bumped down to 6GB/month and didn't fight for the unlimited plan back.

I personally kept my unlimited, and fought when they brought it down to 6GB for the 5S subsidized error.

But now will those guys be better off? Top 5% is 4.7GB, which I exceed, but I infrequently break 6GB a month.

Hopefully throttling is just like... 3G speeds at worst, and not like 0.02mb/second....

2. blcfla macrumors regular

I am curious to see what happens with the throttling as well. I've bought last two iPhones full-price to cling to my unlimited plan. If I start to get major throttling after 4.7gb then I will weigh all the options about my next move!

3. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

I got my 6 @ retail too for unlimited data retention. Hadn't read the terms of their "optimization" in awhile, and when I last had, it made no mention of being optimized for an entire bill cycle, or an additional cycle, or anything - just said "while on a congested tower/site" -- well re-read it last night, and it now says that you'll be subjected for TWO bill cycles (current, and next) - this makes no sense -- sure, MAYBE current (but even then its BS), but the next bill cycle? Come on Verizon, you're starting to suck more and more each day with this.

I'm sure the folks who have the 6GB one will be fine, its just unlimited customers they're putting the hammer down on -- not all unlimited users abuse it -- I use about 10GB a month on my line and my wife maybe 6, but I also tether (which I pay the extra 30.00 for) so they're getting a decent chunk of change from me for it as well.

4. SonRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea...I just plunked down $900 for the 6+ to make sure I keep unlimited. 4.7GB is just so tiny it seems. Granted....it's still better than 2GB/$30 that my little brother has to pay.

Honestly, it hasn't been too big of a deal because when I got the 5S, I sold my 5 for fair amount of money. The 5S was on a subsidized price during the plan error, so if I sell that, then these constantly upgraded phones aren't even that expensive to begin with.

5. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

as long as you are on contract, no throttling, if you are not on one, there are ways to get it.

6. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Problem is, the terms at one point did mention something about not being included if you had not completed your contract, that reference is no longer present anywhere in the network optimization terms. (I do remember seeing it when it said something about one of the exemptions being having not completed your agreement or whatever, but again it's no longer referenced in the updated [when, who knows] terms).

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

It's this very issue that is making me rethink whether it is worth keeping the unlimited plan.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We will have to wait and see how it plays out.
    The good thing is since you're not on contract and you bought your phone full price you have many options available to choose from.

9. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

That's another reason I buy at retail. Hurts a bit at first, but once I flip my 5S I won't have taken that big of a hit.