Verizon's unanswered questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So we know that the data plan will be unlimited at $30/mo (for now anyway).
    And we know that the tethering plan will be $20/mo for 2GB and 5 devices.
    We also know that preorders begin 2/3 for current Verizon customers.

However, is Verizon still planning on publishing a more comprehensive press release answering the remaining important questions?

For example, we still don't know the following:

- Will they offer a 1-year contract (rumors say no, but no confirmation)

- Will you be able to buy at full retail on the preorder date of 2/3 or will this only be for promo pricing? For example, both AT&T and Apple.com do NOT sell the iPhone 4 at no-contract pricing. AFAIK, you have to purchase the phone at the physical store to buy off-contract. Can we assume this will also be true for the Verizon iPhone? And if so, then this means those of us looking to buy the Verizon iPhone will have to wait in line with the rest of the mob on 2/10!

- How will Visual Voicemail work? Verizon currently charges a fee for this on other smartphones. Will we also have to pay a fee to have it on the Verizon iPhone?

- Will Verizon have the same restrictions for 3G data usage in apps? Specifically, will there be the same 20mb limit when downloading music, apps, updates, etc when you are on 3G? Will Youtube still be gimped when playing videos via 3G?

I hate the way Verizon has chosen to trickle out information to various sources instead of just coming clean with a comprehensive press release on how the launch is to play out. I realize some of it we just won't know until it is released, but much of it is important to know in advance of the preorder date... and that is getting very close!

2. TimShady macrumors member

I'm sure Verizon will come out with some official information. Maybe not answering ALL of those specific questions though.

Their site has a place to sign up for updates about the iPhone and I have yet to receive anything, so I'm sure it's coming soon.

They at least need to tell us when, for sure, we can start pre-ordering the phone.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Not true. You can buy an iPhone 4 without a contract on AT&T's website, i.e., you will pay the full retail price. I am an AT&T customer with an iPhone 4 and I have the option to do so. I'm not sure if this applies only to current AT&T customer with iPhones though.

4. richpjr, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I can't say that I have spent a huge time looking at this, but the rumors I have seen say they will offer a 1 year contract.

Here is what I read:

5. BriChi macrumors 6502

I was wondering this too, this is free on ATT, wonder what Verizon will do

6. bcwhite macrumors newbie

The one thing I find a little odd is if you're not eligible for a new phone with Verizon, and if the full price of an iPhone 4 (16 GB) is $649...in theory you could cancel your existing smart phone/plan for some amount less than $350, and sign up for an AT&T 2 year plan with an iPhone for $199.

That means at the very most it would cost you $550 plus any activation fees, etc. I am 8 months away from being eligible for a new phone so I believe it would be a noticeably cheaper than $350 to early terminate.

I could be incorrect about this in some form or fashion, but if I'm not it seems a little strange that Verizon could be losing a few members by not offering some sort of early upgrade option. Of course the majority of subscribers would likely wait for their next discounted opportunity to obtain an iPhone, but regardless there will always be some percentage that would consider defecting if they really want an iPhone. I am an iOS developer so it's something I have to consider. I was holding out for the Verizon iPhone, and now that it's nearly here I may not end up with one.

7. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm signed up for that as well. I'm expecting to get an email over the weekend or early next week. I'd just like to see the final info regarding this.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Yes, but just make you sure you have good AT&T service where you are, otherwise, you'll be buying a hellacious phone with crappy service. A lot of people did that back in 2007 and blamed AT&T for bad service when they should've done their homework and made sure AT&T provided adequate service for them.

A network’s coverage, performance and reliability vary greatly depending on region. That is without exception and applicable to every provider.

9. manjaap macrumors member

10. bcwhite macrumors newbie

I totally agree. Just to follow up, I had a chat session with a Verizon rep last night, and I found that my Verizon early term. fee is currently at $240. I then diplomatically pointed out how I found it strange that I would have to pay $650 for a Verizon iPhone or I could pay $439 for an AT&T iPhone (plus activation, etc, etc).

The rep seemed very eager to find a way to help me out, but as we know there is no means at this time. They said, "You have a very valid point." and I ended the chat shortly after that.

11. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

Can the tethering plan ($20/mon) be purchased one month at a time or is it a part of the 2 year agreement?

12. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the tethering plan can be purchased and cancelled at any time - there is no contract with it.

13. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

When do you think they will let folks know details, this is getting ridiculous. I would like to know what my options are so I can do some research before I just place an order and hope for the best.

I signed up on 1.11 to get emails and now there is less than a week before orders can be placed and I haven't heard a word from them, I mean come on Verizon get your $h!t together. :mad:

14. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, they said they would provide more details "a week prior" to the preorders, but that time has already passed. If we don't hear anything today, my guess is Monday/Tuesday. They've trickled out info to various sources, but all that has done is raise speculation and confusion.

15. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am sure they already have everything ready to go and are withholding information to cause confusion which I find irritating. If they don't have everything finalized by this point then they are not a very well run corporation.

16. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I am glad I'm not planning on buying the phone next week (I'm happily with AT&T, but that's not the point). The whole non-communication from Verizon would drive me nuts. Does their PR department really think this is helping their cause? They haven't even informed their workers, so the public is getting even worse info. I wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully for everyone's sake they will finally announce all of the details soon.