Version 2.0 on Newly Purchased Refurb

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cokids, Jul 29, 2008.

1. cokids macrumors member

I bought the Touch 8.0 a couple weeks ago and have had it for about a week. I'm having major problems getting email to work (still haven't other than GMail.) Anyway, it was advised that I upload version 2.0 to reset the software. It was thought my email problem could be a software issue.

Anyway, when I signed onto iTunes and was asked about uploading version 2.0, I said, "Yes," and the process proceeded without asking me for credit info, so I am presuming that on these new refurbs, the payment is waived and you can go download version 2.0 without a charge. Could that be true? I was not asked for payment info AT ALL!

So far, so good. Download was uneventful; worked fine. I've already downloaded a few third party programs and am enjoying them without incident. Looks like 2.0 is well worth it!! But I still can't access my home email account...only GMail.

I'm thinking this isn't that important! I can live without email...can't I?

Beth

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

As others replied in the "If you purchased a Touch with 2.0 already on it..." thread, it might just be that Apple used your credit card on file. FedEx is showing that my touch is waiting for me at home and I just verified that I have no credit card currently on file with the iTunes store, so I'll try tonight and see if it lets me have 2.0 for free.

I already have my .mac, Gmail, and my ISP mail accounts working in Mail.app. Will the touch import those settings when I connect to iTunes so that I don't have to figure out how to set up mail on it? If that is how it works, do you have your home email set up with either Mail.app on a Mac or Outlook on a PC on the same machine as your iTunes account (I could see Apple only auto-detecting your mail settings with a single mail reader on each platform)? If it was an iPhone I'd say it is pretty important to get working, but on a touch probably not as important since you have to be within a free Wifi zone to check anyway.

Edit

After setting up my touch I can say that it did want the $10 for the upgrade. And to answer my own question, the touch did import all of my mail settings from Mail.app.